I was about to sell the 50 1.4...I didn't. Thanks to my daughter

To make a long story short: after the first days of enthusiasm, I begun to leave my 50 1.4 in the shelf... therefore, the idea of selling it started to grow in my head. Last Thursday, I've received a tempting proposal of purchase but, at the same time, my daughter (she is graduating in history of the art) asked me to take some pics of saints from the 14th century, inside a very old and dark church. Flash of course was not allowed. The first lense (able to achieve that job), that came to my mind was the 50 1.4.
Well my friends, last Friday, I decided that I'll never sell that lense. It is a great piece of glass, saved my day and has a specific space to perform a specific task.
Some examples (all handheld , ISO 1600, btw f/1.8 and f/2)I'd like to share here:

99491494.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 218360

View attachment 218361

View attachment 218362

View attachment 218363

View attachment 218364

View attachment 218365

View attachment 218366

View attachment 218367

and BTW, a couple of whole views of this beautiful church taken with the fisheye:

View attachment 218368

View attachment 218369

Rui

SB-800, TC Kenko Pro300 1.4, Manfrotto 190MF4+804RC Head

===
www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Those are really spectacular photos. There are some amazing churches in Europe. Thanks for sharing them.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Rui
This is one of the greatest lens of all Nikon time. It is one that you can "assign" yourself duty with and come out looking like Picasso. Do not sell it unless you are changing systems. Use it when you feel the need to re-generate your creativity.
Dave

Those are really spectacular photos. There are some amazing churches in Europe. Thanks for sharing them.
Thanks. I am really happy how the images turned out with that lense. And yes, we've got some amazing churches here.

Rui
This is one of the greatest lens of all Nikon time. It is one that you can "assign" yourself duty with and come out looking like Picasso. Do not sell it unless you are changing systems. Use it when you feel the need to re-generate your creativity.
Dave
Thanks, Dave. Yes, I learned a lesson. We must keep some tools ready to use as soon as we feel the need...

WOW! Incredible... these remind me that I need to get back to Europe soon!
Thanks. It is indeed a very nice church, full of history.

Rui

===
www.pbase.com/ruilopes

N

Nuteshack

whew, close one! bless your lovely daughter .....uno shots too Rui..;-)

Rui -

Although I don't own the 50mm f/1.4, if I did I would never consider parting with it, and your interior shots here reinforce why.

Oftentimes, we'll find ourselves in a place where flash or tripods are prohibited (or at least would be unseemly) but where we simply must try to capture a piece of the environment as best we can.

Maybe if I had a D3 (or D300, or D700 - lol) I might think differently, but I doubt it.

Very good work here, considering all the compromises you had to accommodate. BTW, my faves here are your first and also the last two with the fisheye.

Eric

P.S. - I * must* try to visit your beautiful country one of these years . . .

I just picked one up a couple weeks ago. I've only used it a few times but it's ability to capture images in available DARK have already skyrocketed this lens to a must have. I'd part with my 70-200 before I'd let this lens go out the door!

Rui
these are amazing shots
i'm so glad you kept the 50/1.4
a great lens

thanks for sharing these with us
Thank you, Greg. Now I realize how important is to own the 50 1.4!

whew, close one! bless your lovely daughter .....uno shots too Rui..;-)
Many thanks, Nute. Coming from a "fast glass" expert as you are, it's nice to know that you enjoyed it.

Rui, very nice shots! Are the carvings in wood or stone?
Thanks. The carvings are all made in wood (gilt wood work).

Rui -

Although I don't own the 50mm f/1.4, if I did I would never consider parting with it, and your interior shots here reinforce why.

Oftentimes, we'll find ourselves in a place where flash or tripods are prohibited (or at least would be unseemly) but where we simply must try to capture a piece of the environment as best we can.

Maybe if I had a D3 (or D300, or D700 - lol) I might think differently, but I doubt it.

Very good work here, considering all the compromises you had to accommodate. BTW, my faves here are your first and also the last two with the fisheye.

Eric

P.S. - I * must* try to visit your beautiful country one of these years . . .
Thanks for your kind words. Yes, the "fish" came also very handy...:wink:

I just picked one up a couple weeks ago. I've only used it a few times but it's ability to capture images in available DARK have already skyrocketed this lens to a must have. I'd part with my 70-200 before I'd let this lens go out the door!
Keep it, just keep it! The right time to use it will happen.

:910:

WOW!!!! My word! those are awesome!! I can't wait to use my 50mm... thanks for sharing!
You don't need to wait for a "dark need". Use it even in daylight beyond f/4 and you'll be amazed!

As usual very good job Rui! 50 is also my least used lens, but im keeping it just in case :biggrin:
Thanks for the compliment. It's wise to keep it.

Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Not sure about that but I have to admit that old churches have some kind of "pathos" in their appeal - just because of these epic images - that newer, despite being usually lighter and somehow "gaier" (?) haven't.

The 50/1.4 is truly a great lens

Rui, the 50/1.4 is truly and great lens and the best images I have seen from it were captured by you and Nute.

I actually went out with it yesterday to do a "50/1.4 does Paris" but haven't had time to work on the pictures but one.

I hope you don't mind, but just to show case the 50/1.4 versatility here is an image, glad you decided to keep it BTW

Captured at f2 using the 50/1.4, this lens on the new D700 will rule the day and night just based on what I have captured with it using the D3, it is an incredibly sharp lens any time of the day.

_D3A6427.gif

Not sure about that but I have to admit that old churches have some kind of "pathos" in their appeal - just because of these epic images - that newer, despite being usually lighter and somehow "gaier" (?) haven't.
I must agree...

Rui, the 50/1.4 is truly and great lens and the best images I have seen from it were captured by you and Nute.

I actually went out with it yesterday to do a "50/1.4 does Paris" but haven't had time to work on the pictures but one.

I hope you don't mind, but just to show case the 50/1.4 versatility here is an image, glad you decided to keep it BTW

Captured at f2 using the 50/1.4, this lens on the new D700 will rule the day and night just based on what I have captured with it using the D3, it is an incredibly sharp lens any time of the day.

_D3A6427.gif
WOW! What a gorgeous image! And, furthermore way ahead from the most comon view of the Eiffel tower! Great work, Dude! Please post your "50 1.4 does Paris" as soon as possible.
Thanks.
Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Thanks for sharing these, Rui. They're very nice. I'm always looking out for your photos.
Could you please tell us which church it is? I live only about a two and a half hour's drive north of Porto and I would like to include it in my next trip to your area, if it's not too far off.

Thanks for sharing these, Rui. They're very nice. I'm always looking out for your photos.
Could you please tell us which church it is? I live only about a two and a half hour's drive north of Porto and I would like to include it in my next trip to your area, if it's not too far off.

Thanks for the kind words. This church is called "Church of Santa Clara" , it is located right in the center of Oporto, 300 meters away from the Oporto Cathedral (Sé). It was built in 1457.

Great shots from both of you. If that doesn't inspire me to use my 50 1.4 more, nothing will! :)
Thanks. Just go out and shoot with it!:smile:

Rui

Latest threads

Top Bottom