I was asked to shoot a wedding! Need some advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pixelharmony, Aug 22, 2008.

1. So my photography is mainly for pleasure. I always joked about how it would be nice to make supplemental income by shooting weddings on the side.

http://www.pixelharmony.net/photography/pj_mikesoobin/index.html

I shot the above wedding for my friend (I was also the best man) and it was a gift for him since I think he picked a bad pro photog... he ended up liking my pictures better.

Anyway, this request came from a girl that I know from college. We were the same major and had the same social circles. She's still in dental school and so is her finace. So for you guys judging from my work what would be something to charge as my first paid gig?

Do I draft up contracts? Do I get paid up front?

I would love to shoot their wedding for the experience and networking potential. Advice is welcome!!

2. A contract is a very good idea. Get the specifics - and I mean all the specifics.

I recently shot a wedding that was described as "small" - which had nine bridesmaids and groomsmen. I asked the groom's monster-in-law exactly what she considered to be a large wedding?

I was told beforehand that no shots were required during the ceremony - only to be asked to take them just as the ceremony was starting. I only agreed to do this because the bride was a former student.

So my suggestion is to get every bit of information you can, and get it on paper.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.