"I was contacted by a newspaper..." Followup:*Update

In my earlier posting on the subject(here: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=177959&highlight=jStat ), I described my encounter with a local newspaper journalist who, in short, insulted me by willfully ignoring me and then asking for free pictures.

Well, about four weeks later, the story comes to a conclusion.

My team, the Burlington Blue Devils, are now in their Conference Championship, having beaten a bitter new rival last Saturday. I had been thoughtful about what kind of interest this game and playoff status would generate in Burlington.
I found out today, when the team owner contacted me regarding the same female sports editor who had besmirched me last month.

It seems she is desperate for photos for that game. So much so, that she actually calls me right after I get off the phone with the owner.

To make a long story somewhat short, she first gets my permission to use the one shot she selected from the three I showed her.
She then asks if I have a photography business. Huh?
I say 'Yes', and she tries offering me a deal: In essence, she tried to spin a 'promotional' deal thing with me, where I would get 'promotional exposure' from them for having my photo in the paper instead of being paid(or something like that. Has anyone gotten this?). Right.
She also admitted to not being very good at doing 'this'. I bit my tongue and politely said that any promotion I would get would be mandatory from having my name credited to the photo, and that I would like to be paid.
She then stumbles through an explanation on why papers offer that weird 'deal'. It was awkward.
I was put on hold while she talked to her boss about it, and she said I was good to go with being paid for this week's photo and also for another one from this next game for their next issue.

The pay is grossly under the average, with a $15/photo payout. Then, the stranger part, $7 per additional photo in the same issue.

I'm still getting screwed, but I'm at least getting something.

The bottomline? Never back out on your principles and stick to your guns. You never know who'll come crawling back to you for that image you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
yikes...congrats on the exposure but it sounds like they saw you coming.

$15 ? - she doesn't sound that desperate. Add another 0 or two.

I know, hey?

But it's not the point, I suppose.

Still, it is something, even if it close to nothing.

She also said that these two issue will be something that can be worked on.
She has no idea.

I'll still take my small victory.

B

Bill N

Good on you, John. You will also have clippings should you wish to pursue NPS for a foot up with Nikon service if you aren't already a member. Some times small steps forward are better than standing still or moving backwards. Again, nice job.
Regards, Bill

F

fivegrand

$15 ? - she doesn't sound that desperate. Add another 0 or two.

Maybe in Oz...

He got paid well. This is a local paper, not Sports Illustrated or ESPN. The local papers around here offer $2 per image per use and (oh goody goody!) my name next to the photo.

Or two? Show me a local newspaper that will pay a freelance photographer $1500 to use one of their photos. I would be interested in knowing how many local papers would even pay $150 for a shot to be used one time.

ok, maybe that was wishful thinking :smile:, but, about right for a magazine cover downunder

I think our local paper is $10/image. Good job at sticking to your guns.

A

adrianaitken

Congrats for getting better than average pay !!! Selling to local newspapers is not a good way of paying the mortgage but it is a step up in the right direction as long as they do credit you properly (and no one else in town has the same name !!!).
Many local newspapers do seem to prefer the 'we offer free publicity to you' mentality but how many of their writers get paid a living and have their name on the article. It sucks but if you can't beat 'em.....

I suspect that she and the rest of the staff are getting paid something for their work on the paper. I also suspect they are getting paid significantly less than the same positions on the NYT and other majors. It seems to me the important thing is the precedent is set that some form of remuneration is required on photos that are used. The amount seems less important than the precedent and the exposure.

One congrats...

One, congrats... Two - next time the going minimum rate is $50 per picture on some major newspapers and third - annoying fee is a $20 surcharge per pictures :biggrin:

To make this easy - one picture = $70 two pictures = $140 ... No pictures = a story without readership :rolleyes: A no story... And of course your get photo credit for each images... No photo credit = No deal.

Now a days some newspaper editors and some journalist think people will give them free images... Huh-oh... yea, right.

Lesson number one - never sell yourself short, specially when they ask for it and need it, but yuou got paid and published = super!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Congrats on getting published. Sorry to hear they were not willing to pay more. I was paid $55 by a local publisher for an image to appear in two 20K circulation weekly publications - one a town paper, one a county paper. It was the same image featured with the same story in both so I took it. It was an unsolicited submission I had sent them that just happened to work with the story they wanted to run.

Later I was presented with an agreement to sign if I wanted to work as a freelance for them. The agreement was explicitly a "work for hire" which I politely declined to sign. I haven't worked with them or had anything appear in their publications since. Turns out they are owned by the Tribune Corporation out of Chicago, who also owns lots of national daily and weekly publications. The reason they demand WFH agreements is so they can run the photos in any of their publications without paying you again. I'm so glad I didn't sign that contract.

Kudos to you for sticking to your principles and not giving it away for free.

Okay, fellas. First off, thanks you for all your support. Despite the amount, which may seem hideously small to some, my stance remained firm and they, trying at first to secure free stuff, were forced to deal with me in order to get what they, and their readers(the team is popular in the town), wanted.

Now comes the second part of the story: I will be in Burlington tomorrow, and they want me to fill out "stringer" paperwork in order to get paid.
Can anyone tell me what I can expect and what to beware of in the context?

Okay, fellas. First off, thanks you for all your support. Despite the amount, which may seem hideously small to some, my stance remained firm and they, trying at first to secure free stuff, were forced to deal with me in order to get what they, and their readers(the team is popular in the town), wanted.

Now comes the second part of the story: I will be in Burlington tomorrow, and they want me to fill out "stringer" paperwork in order to get paid.
Can anyone tell me what I can expect and what to beware of in the context?

John Harrington's site is a good resource for these types of questions:

http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/2008/05/2008-ap-contract-analysis-introduction.html

Sean

Do you know any of the other freelance photographers that have appeared in the newspaper? It would be interesting to contact one and see what they have been paid.

Can you share the photos they chose?

Do you know any of the other freelance photographers that have appeared in the newspaper? It would be interesting to contact one and see what they have been paid.

Can you share the photos they chose?

1. No, I don't know any of them. Perhaps this may be a good way to start?
2. Yes, I can. I am on a different computer, but the photo can be seen on this homepage: www.bbdevils.com **Warning: There is audio, so make sure your speakers are not turned up.

The photo, unfortunately, is the smaller one to the right; I'll post a larger version later today.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom