I was so wrong..[Large file attached]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shanelu87, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I kept convincing myself that I shoot wide and telephoto shots exclusively and I have no need for a mid zoom. Boy was I wrong. The 16-85mm arrived today and I'm definitely missing out on all the focal lengths I though I would never use! Picked it up for $450 with MS Live's Cashback.

The bugger is super sharp right from the get go, wide open, and VR means I can get 17-55 shutter speeds without the 2.8 aperture. Heck, I think Photozone rated this even better than the 17-55 in terms of IQ. I have yet to evaluate bokeh on this lens, but I don't think it's as good as the 17-55.

Now I officially have 12mm-400mm completely covered!

D300, straight out of camera, wide open.

[​IMG]

2. Glad you're enjoying it Shane! :smile:

3. Thanks Gretchen! My entire lens kit is pro, and today is my first day out with the 16-85, and I"m totally surprised by this "consumer" lens.It will definitely serve me well as a midzoom vacation lens. Heck, I might even do some serious shoots with it.

Nikons lens technology is doing better than Moore's law, it seems.

4. nice shot shane
    congrats on the lens
    i hope you'll showus MANY more soon

5. who would

ever though we would see the day when consumer/prosumer lenses could out-resolve pro optics, i know this comes with some caveats, but it demonstrates that technology is pushing things to limits and cutting costs in ways that no one would have ever guessed....now if Nikon could be a little more realistic and drop the price of the 24-70 to $1000 or at least add VR if they are going to charge as much :wink:

6. Thanks Greg!

Daniel, I know, right? The line between pro equipment and consumer equipment is quickly blurring. The only thing that seems to differ is build quality now. This lens is a dream because it's so friggin light and small compared to the 17-55 or the Beast! My #1 and only lens for vacation now, probably.