I went to Viera and caught no fish...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by huanpham, Nov 15, 2005.

1. huanpham

huanpham Guest

(currently sitting at Orlando Airport waiting for a seat back to California)

Hello Frank, Harris, Gay, and all the good forum buddies...

Bernie Campoli came down from Panama City to meet me in Orlando, and then we drove to Viera for a fun shoot with Harry. Bernie found a bald eagle and Harry sneaked up to a hawk.

Harry felt bad for me because it was a slow day, but I kinda like the experience. I don't know anything about fishing, but now I know why a bunch of men would go out spending half a day with a rod, come home without a catch, and still be happy. It must be the company and the experience. Same thing with the photographers, I guess. I caught no eagle nor hawk, but I tremendously enjoyed the time with Harry and Bernie. I had a time of my life shooting with my buddies.

Bernie showed off with his 800mm, now I cannot get it out of my mind. I gotta get meself that big gun. Ebay, KEH, FredMiranda here I come.

The meter on my D2H failed again for the second time. So I used the legendary D100 with some oldies lenses and shot the sceneries...

Harry and Bernie, two good looking guys... D100 and 135 DC

D100 and 17-35

D100 and 17-35

D100 and 85

Oops, they are boarding now, time to pack up

Cheers...
    Huan

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

3. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Huan - Too bad you had a slow day at Viera, but with that 800 you should have been able to shoot birds anywhere between Jacksonville and Miami. I hope you still have some shots to show taken with that bazooka. How much does it weigh? Can you put a TC-XX on it? If you sense just a bit of jealousy, you are right!

Gordon

4. huanpham

huanpham Guest

Hi Gordon,

I don't have the 800... yet. Been looking last night since getting back. KEH currently has one around $3000... should I go there or should I get in line for the D200???

What are some of the good areas to shoot in Pennsylvania?

Regards,

Huan

5. huanpham

huanpham Guest

Thanks Harry, I went back to fix it. It's my first time at the Cafe, so I am still a new boy with all the house rules.

Regards,

Huan

6. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Huan -

I went back to Harry's post and I see that Bernie had the 800. Did he let you play with it?

I live in SE Pennsylvania, about 20 miles North of Philly. There aren't any really good places around here. One small NWR right next to Phila. airport that usually isn't very productive, and a bunch of small state or regional parks. Folks who like to go after the little guys in the woods have plenty of opportunities, but for my favorites - waders, shore birds, even raptors, there are much better places in NJ and Delaware. And when I really get desparate I take a trip to Florida. I'm going to Viera III in February and am really looking forward to it. I hope someday we both visit there at the same time!

Gordon

7. Sorry to hear about your camera troubles. But, you managed to capture some great scenic shots of the area. I really like the shot of Harry...you definitely got his best side! :smile:

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Huan!!

So you made it back to the right coast finally. :biggrin:

Sorry to hear about your cam problems, but it looks like you did OK with that old D100. How is Hu? I hope you can both come back for Merritt III in Feb. :smile: