I will never do children portraits professionally!

Discussion in 'People' started by Jonathan F/2, Nov 9, 2005.

1. My normal job I risk life and limb to get that money shot, but compared to shooting children, it's a cake walk! I swear it's near impossible to get kids to pose up. No matter what I did I could not get them all to look. Even though they're my own niece and nephews, it was exhausting! Anyways, I just gave up and started hosing away, Hollywood style! hahaha!

[​IMG]

Anyways, I'm better off doing candids or something. Remember Ansel Adams was an amazing landscape photographer, but even he admitted portrait photography wasn't his cup-of-tea!

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Johathan I could not agree more :>)))

Street candids are fun stuff. Portraits.. eeeekkk

Give me the birds and nature.

the kids sure are cuties though.

3. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Yes children can really be pain in the .... I have luck with most of the children portraits i did. That i can come on their level. I mostly give them full attention and bend through my knees to get on there height. And then i start talking about when it is there birthday or what they want for christmas. And i talk about animals. Have some fun making animal noises and ask them to call the names of the animals. So they don't see the photographing as something they must do. But the feel it is fun.

Your nephews and nieces know you to much. So they know if you play some role or not. And you are right about it is hard because some kids will not cooperate mostly because mom is yelling that they must do this and that and smile. But i mostly ask them that i do the talking and make them feel comfartable. Maybe i have luck with children.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But Jonathan even it is hard to photograph children, don't forget if a photo is good of a cute child then most woman say ahhhhhh. And the mother will show that one super photo to all her friends and all these moms want also these cute photo's of their children. And before you know it you buy another good lens for your relaxing time after the children shoot. :biggrin:

Candy bribes are allways good too!!!

Greetings,
    Vince

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Vince,
    I need to ask you about the double catch light. Should one deminish the size or clone one out ???

Looks like you are on the right track.

6. Hi Gale,

Steve had given me some information about the 4:1 ratio of lighting setup. In that shot i had my lighting not done good enough.

Yes i could clone out one catchlight out of the eyes. But that photo is the uploaded version. I am still learning to get the right light setups. Good that you noticed it right away. I was thinking would Gale still be awake to notice the double catchlight hehe. Like i said in earlier posting it seems you are "sharp". In dutch i could say... Je bent vlijmscherp als een mes = You are sharp as a knife.

It seems also that it is good to have the catchlight at 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock of the eye pupil for the best results. Am i right about that one?

Thanks again Gale.

Greetings,
    Vince

7. Jonathan i was looking at that photo again that you made. But who is distracting the baby and the girl from the left. It seems you did your work good but somebody is interfearing your work. Maybe their mother.

But it still is a great shot. Adorable children.

Greetings,
    Vince