i wished nikon would have streamlined the d700

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by scooptdoo, Aug 13, 2008.

1. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

like loosing the live view modes.I never use mine on my 300 because my eyesite is such I need to wear reading specks and well you mget the idea if you over 50.Besides ive used slrs for years and so im not really liking the live view thing.Since the D700 is more pro oriented I think leaving this feature out would maby have dropped the cost a bit.Just a thought.
    Id love a 700 but 3000 is too much to spend when I just spent almost 2 large this past december.No not in todays economy.BESIDES WITH THE FX SENSOR I WOULD JUST HAVE TO BEG BARROW OR STEAL OR RENT THE NIKKOR 14-24 ZOOM.A MUST HAVE IMHO.SO THERES ANOTHER 15 HUNDRED MORE OR LESS? DONT TINK TOE.O well next year they will be unleashing an updated D who knows what?

2. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Since the Live View is nothing mechanical but just a little bit of program code for the camera processor, getting rid of that would have not made the D700 any cheaper. The LV firmware code already exists because it has been designed for earlier camera models.

I mean, getting rid of LV in D700 would have required some Nikon designer to just "delete LiveView.Exe" from the camera firmware. Actually testing all the consequences of this change might have added some to the cost.

Possibly the cost breakdown of a D700 is something like:
    • sensor $1500
    • electronics and display panels $750
    • metal body $500
    • rubbers and plastics $250
    • firmware code $0 (with free updates)

I do shoot a lot of macro and warmly welcome the Live View mode.

3. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    Live view is outstanding for macro/tripod work.
    You can zoom in and manually focus perfectly.

I wish it had a video mode.

4. I hope it's not running Windows in there !!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ronnie

5. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Me too :cool: .exe used for illustrative purposes only :biggrin:

6. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Live view has its purposes - even for the over 50 crowd. There are lots of things in these cameras that are "unnecessary", especially if one shoots RAW. As was said, it's just software - and does not add to the mechanical complexity of the camera. The R&D was done for other cameras, and omitting it would not change the price - but would make it a target of "ridicule" for not being offered with it.

7. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Live view has its purposes. Nikon never meant for D700/D3 and even D300 owners to use LV like a P&S. If you think LV is a waste of resources because you don't need to use it like a P&S, then you don't fully understand all of LVs uses as it goes beyond simple compostion.

8. I don't have any live view dSLR yet, but that is the main thing I'd be interested in Live View for. I was struggling the other day to get the front pollen grains on an anther into the sharpest focus and I simply couldn't through the viewfinder. I ended up having to take several shots, each with the focusing ring slightly turned. Then afterwards I pixel-peeped the shots and chose the one that had the focus on the right section of the anther.

I presume that with Live View, I would have been able to easily tell whether I was focused on the front of the anther, or front-focused past the front and to its rear. I would absolutely love that.

9. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Yes. For fine focussing work, think of LV as a "live pixel peeping" as you can crop the LV image to 1:2, thats beyond 1:1.

10. fivegrand

fivegrand Guest

I have nothing to add other than to say that scooptdoo, your username cracks me up! :)