I won a one hour pleasure flight...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Clivegriff, Apr 6, 2005.

1. ...in a Piper Arrow light aircraft.

Well...actually...my son won it and it was for two people.

Here are some pictures from the flight. All were taken with the D70 and Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 from an uncomfortable position and through a plastic window; all required extensive Photoshop work.

The A1 motorway winds its way north/south...

original.

Knaresborough, North Yorkshire...

View attachment 7079

The Washburn Valley, whose reservoirs provide water for Leeds and Bradford...

View attachment 7080

Otley, West Yorkshire and the Yorkshire Dales...

View attachment 7081

The Humber Bridge...

View attachment 7082

Where we could have gone, given time and fuel...

View attachment 7083

2. Very nice, Clive! You must have done a wonderful job with PS -- you can't really see any direct evidence of the window at all!

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Clive, I visited England about 10 years ago and your shots make me want to go back soon. I went to London, Leigh-on-Sea, visited Oxford, as well as Stonehenge and many other interesting places. I wasn't as fortuante as you to be able to see if from the air though....i'm so very jealous! Great pictures you took!

4. Thanks, Gordon.

It was a bit cool at 3,000 feet! :D

5. Thanks, David.

The PS work consisted of...

Crop - usually to 12in x 8in @ 240ppi = 2880 x 1920 pixels

USM (50,100,0) - at least two passes, sometimes three and sometimes with the third faded to around 50%. It's usual practice to run USM as the last job before saving, but I used it first because it "lifted" the haze caused by the plastic window.

Levels - pulled both ends of the histogram towards the middle.

6. Thanks, Leigh.

I hope you get the chance to re-visit soon and see some of the dramatic scenery in the north of the country.

We also have other advantages over the south up here...

breathable air; polite, friendly people, cold beer and Rugby League!

:lol:

7. You missed out the main one - which is that you're a lot closer to Scotland of course :lol:

You've done well with the processing, I've taken a few shots from planes and it's always a major pain trying to get rid of reflections and window haze.

Well done ! - and you got some reasonable weather too :)

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good.

Thank you for sharing

9. Thanks, Dougie.

We were very lucky with the weather which has now taken a distinct turn for the worse.

10. My pleasure, Gale.

I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

11. Clive.......you have outdone yourself!! WAY TO GO!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

12. Hey Clive,

That's a really niiiiice tour! 8) It sure makes me want to visit... and I appreciate the advantages you listed over the southern regions ;-)

13. Thanks, Bryan.

I appreciate your kind words.

14. Thanks, Philippe.

There are so many, many more advantages that I just didn't have time to list them all.

:p