I wonder how much nikon paid for product placement in man of steel

Apparently lois lane shoots a D3S. There were several times where the camera zoomed in on her neck strap, one fairly long shot of the back of her camera, a fairly clear shot of the speed light (SB900 although I admit I didn't catch it) and even a shot through the viewfinder fairly accurately showing the viewfinder readout.

Funny that they didn't use a D4 or a D800.

Anyway the movie was decent although a bit too long for my liking.

Apparently lois lane shoots a D3S. There were several times where the camera zoomed in on her neck strap, one fairly long shot of the back of her camera, a fairly clear shot of the speed light (SB900 although I admit I didn't catch it) and even a shot through the viewfinder fairly accurately showing the viewfinder readout.

Funny that they didn't use a D4 or a D800.

Anyway the movie was decent although a bit too long for my liking.

Principle filming was done with over a year ago. The cameras were not even out when filming took place.

And here I am wondering what brand razor he used to shave and the brand of shampoo he uses to keep his hair looking great even after all those battles.

In "The Amazing Spiderman",
They used a Yashica rangefinder like I own...:tongue::biggrin:

strapss.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Michael
Principle filming was done with over a year ago. The cameras were not even out when filming took place.

Right. In fact, the timing of the start of production was critical for Warner Bros. as it affected the underlying rights to the Superman property in the U.S. Ownership of the U.S. copyright was the subject of a rather complex and protracted copyright dispute between the heirs of Jerry Siegel (co- creator along with Joe Shuster) and Time Warner. In one court decision the judge ruled that unless Warner Bros commenced production on a new Superman movie by 2011, it would lose some future rights and become liable to the plaintiffs for certain monies derived from past exploitation. Needless to say Warners could not risk losing any rights to the property (they control all rights through their wholly owned subsidiary DC Comics).

Initial development on the project had begun several years prior. Principal photography began in August 2011 and concluded some time in January/February of 2012. The D4 was released in February 2012. Perhaps a prototype could have been made available to the company during production. It would appear Nikon preferred to promote something that was already on the market rather than a model still in development with a then unknown release date.

A friend who in the product placement business said he didn't have any specifics on the Nikon deal but it was public knowledge now that Man of Steel made $160 Million dollars in tie in and placement deals before the film was released. Enough to recoup almost two thirds of its production cost (est. $265 Million). Add to that there must be a lot of people associated with the film that are now sporting a D3S. The deals usually involve both cash and merchandise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boys!
They're not real people you know. Just fictional characters, so what does it matter which brand of gear they're schlepping around?

Check out Morgan Spurlock’s (of Supersize Me) The greatest movie ever sold, a documentary on product placement. More correctly, when you watch it, the movie your watching is about how they financed the movie you're watching, which is kinda funny when you think about it.

Long story short: if you see a brand in movie you can be sure it’s paid for. Unless, of course, it’s for the bad guy. You’ll see it a lot in action movies. The good guys are all driving Fords (or Chevrolets) and the bad guys are all driving Chevrolets (or Fords), depending on who was willing to pay the most.

If the brand name is long enough visible to be recognized then there's a 99% possibility that money changed hands to make that happen.

Check out Morgan Spurlock’s (of Supersize Me) The greatest movie ever sold, a documentary on product placement. More correctly, when you watch it, the movie your watching is about how they financed the movie you're watching, which is kinda funny when you think about it.

Long story short: if you see a brand in movie you can be sure it’s paid for. Unless, of course, it’s for the bad guy. You’ll see it a lot in action movies. The good guys are all driving Fords (or Chevrolets) and the bad guys are all driving Chevrolets (or Fords), depending on who was willing to pay the most.

If the brand name is long enough visible to be recognized then there's a 99% possibility that money changed hands to make that happen.

Short answer to long story short:
Who cares?
Anyone who would buy and/or use a product because they saw it in a movie is P.T. Barnum's kind of person.
I don't use Nikon equipment because a fictional character in a film (who probably had to be coached on how to hold the camera) uses it. Nor any other good or service for that matter.
I'd like to think I'm a tad more discerning than that.

who cares?
From an advertising standpoint more than enough people do care so that the return on investment is justified.
In this case it is probably more about brand awareness than product marketing.
This would be relying on the "monkey see monkey do" principle.
However not everyone is in their target audience in which case they do not consider the lack of effectiveness of this product placement on their non core target relevant.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom