I worked on 5 more shots, please comment

ok, I lied in my earlier post about those being the last :oops: These are nothing to shout about, but I thought I'd post them for comments anyway. Don't hold back on my account. Tell it like it is! :wink:
PS, these are suppose to represent Senior-type pictures. This is what I want and need lots of practice on.
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 13498
View attachment 13499
View attachment 13500
View attachment 13501

Real Name
Chris
#1 looks most like a senior picture. The flower in her lap either should stand out more, or not be there. Her hair and pose look real nice. Maybe don't crop so tight..?

2 is very nice as well - very sexy pose! Can you retouch the back of her hand?

3's a great concept shot, but the harsh sunlight on her hand and sholder kinda just injects itself... Can you crop in tighter from the left and bottom to emphasize their faces and get rid of the hand? The one on the left has a great face!

#4 is OK, but can you straighten it up with PS transform? Her expression has 'senior photo' written on it, she got a good smile.

#5's lighting is harsh, maybe highlight/shadow can tone the burnt part of her hair down. This one looks SP too.

Sorry to be so critical, I couldn't do as well, but you asked. ;)

Hi Steve, since you asked here goes:
1. I like this one, kind of perky
2. The senior boys would like this one
3. I agree with Chris, bag the had with a tighter crop.
4. On this one I feel the post takes prominance over the girl. It is more how you have positioned her and the fact that the post is light in color.
5. I like this one and don't mind the highlights in her hair.

Good feedback, Chris,

Chris101 said:
#1 looks most like a senior picture. The flower in her lap either should stand out more, or not be there. Her hair and pose look real nice. Maybe don't crop so tight..?

3's a great concept shot, but the harsh sunlight on her hand and sholder kinda just injects itself... Can you crop in tighter from the left and bottom to emphasize their faces and get rid of the hand? The one on the left has a great face!

#4 is OK, but can you straighten it up with PS transform? Her expression has 'senior photo' written on it, she got a good smile.

#5's lighting is harsh, maybe highlight/shadow can tone the burnt part of her hair down. This one looks SP too.

#1 was actually framed that ight, I only cropped it a bit vertically. I do have a couple of others that were more loosley framed, I'll see if there's a keeper expression in there I can work with.

On #2, I didn't even notice the back of the hand (duuuh!) til you mentioned it. It is pretty veiny, isn't it?I'll see what I can do with it.
On #3, can crop tighter, probably go vert with it.
On #4, I did use one of those transform tools, but not enough, or maybe the wrong one even? :?
On #5, I might be able to burn down the harshness of the blown highlights. We did eventually use my diffuser disk, but didn't get any good expressions out of her then. Took the cover off my reflector disk to reveal the diffusion panel for the 1st time. Works great, but needs to be held high and out of the frame. Not an easy task for a standing subject. Thanks Man!

Thanks Gordon,

greyflash said:
Hi Steve, since you asked here goes:
1. I like this one, kind of perky
2. The senior boys would like this one
3. I agree with Chris, bag the hand with a tighter crop.
4. On this one I feel the post takes prominance over the girl. It is more how you have positioned her and the fact that the post is light in color.
5. I like this one and don't mind the highlights in her hair.
On #1, all I did was clean up her complexion some and crop a little off the top and a smidge off the bottom.
On #2, she's really showing it off, isn't she? Too bad about the bunched up fabric on her top. Being that she's going into her sophomore yr in college, I'll bet the HS seniors would like that one! :shock:
On #3, I'll redo the crop to a vert.
On #4, you're right, the post is taking too much attention away from the subject.
On #5, I may try to burn down the blown highlihghts a bit. I already dialed down the Exp in NC4 by 1/2 stop.
Thanks Gordon, this is exactly the kind of constructive feedback I'm looking for! :D

Chris101 said:

I like it when people like chris are pointing out the flaws in the photo's. If i make photo's and post them i like to get raving results. But when a person like Chris says what i could improve then i am very happy. Sometimes i don't see myself the things because i been busy on a shot then a reply as what Chris give puts me back in reality and makes me more attention and give my self the critique to improve the photo's.

On some places when you post a photo people think you want a golden medal or something or they think you post it because you think your the best. While i think most off us seek for understanding how to frame something the right way or how to improve a photo so it is more appealing. And yes sometimes you nail a shot spot on. And is nice to share that and to get nice comments. A ego of a person is nice if it gets a boost only negative responses without a helping hand gives only the feeling to give up.

In the long time i spend on Dpreview i have seen people stop using a camera because of the critism of some people who are to sad for words. The main thing we shoot photo's because it is our work or hobby. And we can show this work to friends but they don't understand it as good as you guys here, because we all share the same intrest.

Steve i like your photo's and i think Chris and Greyflash make some good points.

Greetings,
VinceBeus

lol Vince! what you said is so true!

What you said about some other sites and ppl thinking you want a gold medal or something. I like my criticism delivered plain vanilla, with no sugar added. I even said so in the beginning. imo, there's no such thing as the perfect photo coming out of my camera. There's always something about it the can be technically improved on. And, you're right about not seeing certain aspect of a photo because we're concentrating so much on just a part of it, not seeing it as a whole composition. I think when commenting on a certain pic, you have to consider the experience level of the person who took it, and temper your response accordingly. Not always an easy thing to do. If you're going to say something negative, you need to say it tactfully, and include something positive about it if at all possible. Thanks for your comments!

PS, where's the pics on your website? :? Is it still under construction?

Haha you got me i am bit lazy. Mayor change of my home new windows new floors and new stone garden house. So to much poeple walking around my home to edit my website. I am happy i still can post process my photos in the late hours and have some time to shoot some photo's.

I did make a gallery of some of the photo's of the model but then i thought i will wait for some time soon to finish my site or rebuilding my site. I am not happy with the photo's on my site to much photo's and to much dull photo's haha.

But here is the link to the photo shoot:

http://home.planet.nl/~beuse228/d2x/index1.html

Smack dab between the Wolverines and the Spartans
I have to agree with Pa ;) It's unfortunate that she chose those jeans, because the holes and stains grab my attention long before the girl's face does. Otherwise, it's a great shot...the angle of the head and the hand are perfect.

And don't get me started on the outfit in #2....I might never climb down from my soapbox. :roll:

I really like the others. I think #5 is my favorite. I'd prefer to see her looking just slightly more toward the camera, but I really like the way the light is shining off her hair, and I also think the background on that one is very nice.

I don't know how much influence you had in this case, but generally, as the photographer, you can tell your clients what to wear (or what not to). I've never had a professional photo taken where the photographer didn't sit down with me ahead of time and tell me very specifically what types of clothing to wear and how many outfits to bring....usually right down to the color of my sandals and the shade of my lipstick! I used to think that was going overboard, but it really does make for great portraits...ones to proud of for years to come.

I admire your efforts in doing portraits. I have the opportunity to photograph a family, and I'm trying desperately to get out of it....portraits really aren't my thing!

sommer said:
I have to agree with Pa ;) It's unfortunate that she chose those jeans, because the holes and stains grab my attention long before the girl's face does. Otherwise, it's a great shot...the angle of the head and the hand are perfect.

And don't get me started on the outfit in #2....I might never climb down from my soapbox. :roll:

I really like the others. I think #5 is my favorite. I'd prefer to see her looking just slightly more toward the camera, but I really like the way the light is shining off her hair, and I also think the background on that one is very nice.

I don't know how much influence you had in this case, but generally, as the photographer, you can tell your clients what to wear (or what not to). I've never had a professional photo taken where the photographer didn't sit down with me ahead of time and tell me very specifically what types of clothing to wear and how many outfits to bring....usually right down to the color of my sandals and the shade of my lipstick! I used to think that was going overboard, but it really does make for great portraits...ones to proud of for years to come.

I admire your efforts in doing portraits. I have the opportunity to photograph a family, and I'm trying desperately to get out of it....portraits really aren't my thing!

Depends on what the clients paying for the pictures wanted.. Unless you were a model and I was paying you, I shouldn't tell you what to wear. I can make suggestions but the decision is up to you. Just because you are the photographer doesn't mean you can be bossy and stipulate terms when they are paying you ;)

And as far as clothing goes that is personal preference. Truthfully you come off with this post as a jealous catty girl moreso than a professional photographer. Sorry I don't pull punches but I liked the pictures. Artistically as well as the subject matter. There are things that drew me in each of the pictures but I liked the second one the best as she is extremely toned in her mid-section and I am a sucker for that area.

Smack dab between the Wolverines and the Spartans
Mwilson50 said:
Truthfully you come off with this post as a jealous catty girl moreso than a professional photographer.

Egads, you don't have to attack me personally just because you liked all the pictures and I only liked 3 of them. You can state your difference of opinion without calling me jealous and catty. These are senior portraits, no? That's what the op stated. Senior portraits hang on grandma's wall for 30 years and they're shown off to family and friends and anyone else who'll stop to look. They're more for the family than for the student. I'd be shocked if the parent of a graduating senior looked at shot #2 and said 'yeah, I want that photographer for my daughter.' When your name is on the print, you can dictate to a great degree the way your client dresses. If I had shown up for my senior portrait wearing either of the outfits in #1 or #2, the photographer would have refused my business. And, he would have been right to do so, because his name stamped on the final product would have been dragged through the mud for producing that as a senior photo. I'm not a professional photographer, but even I know that repeat business and referrals are keys to success.

Senior portraits are a reflection of the past 18 years. Parents still see their kids as 5-year-olds in them. They should be classy and show self-respect.....they'll be hanging on your parents' wall when your own kids come to visit, so they should be something you'll be proud of 20 years down the road.

If you disagree, that's great...just skip the personal attacks.

These were "practice" senior pics, not the real th

I asked these girls if they would let me practice doing senior-types shots on them, in exchange for seleted prints. They are in no way the real thing. As for their wardrobe, Morgan, in the 1st 2, was in town visiting her bf, and didn't have much of a wardrobe to choose from. The other girl, the redhead, borrowed some of Morgan's stuff. She's just a 15 y.o. tomboy that doesn't have any wardrobe to speak of. And yes, we did discuss what she would wear just prior to the shoot. Unfortunately there wasn't much good to choose from. If it was the real thing, she would have a say in what she wore, subject to my advise and recommendations.

And Sommer,

We all know you're not a "jealous catty girl", you're just a person showing your concern and compassion, that's all. mwilson's choice of words were a little strong for the given situation. To tell you the truth, I never paid any attention to the holes in the jeans. I was far too wrapped up in exposures backgrounds, junk like that. When I asked if she brought any shorts, she produced those funky workout shorts. Wouldn'tve been my 1st choice!

PGB

Mwilson50 said:
Truthfully you come off with this post as a jealous catty girl moreso than a professional

cat·ty
adj. cat·ti·er, cat·ti·est

1. Subtly cruel or malicious; spiteful: a catty remark.

There is no need for this. We are all supposed to be friends here and Steve asked for opinions and Sommer gave them. Lets not hijack this post with childish banter and get back to the subject.

Steve I think the shots are very nice. Not being a professional, from my untrained eye I tell you what I like and don't like. I think the girls are very pretty and they have the "look" of today's society. You have captured their beauty very well.

Thanks for sharing

G

GaryW

Gosh. I had to check the url address at the top of the screen to make sure I wasn't at dpreview.

I tend to agree with Sommer on #2. But, I am an old 61 yo male. If I were 20.......

Mwilson50 said:
Truthfully you come off with this post as a jealous catty girl more so than a professional photographer. Sorry I don't pull punches but I liked the pictures.

Perhaphs pulling a punch or two might be appropriate. Sommer is a nice young lady and gave her opinion to Steve without getting personal. We hope that you as well as all other members feel welcome here.

Real Name
Chris
GaryW said:
I tend to agree with Sommer on #2. But, I am an old 61 yo male. If I were 20.......

As photographs I like the first three images - they convey an emotional content well. But Sommer has a valid point when she points out the intended use of a senior picture. My mother (79 yesterday!) has a photo of me at age 17 on her wall. I never would have liked that photo in any context other than my mother's wall. I've got an Alfred E. Newman haircut (with lots of Vitalis in it!) and a 'put on' smile and head tilt. Yet that is the image she uses to represent my childhood - bless her sweet self.

So that's right - the sitter is probably not the right person to make the choice of the pose and clothes of the Senior Portrait. And thanks Sommer, there will be a time I'll need to remember this!

OMG.... Vitalis!???

Man, I haven't heard that name in a long, long time! Never liked the stuff myself. Thought it smelled really wierd. I was much more of a Brylcreem man. 8)

Latest threads

Top Bottom