I would like to see picture of the same object taken with..?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Gilles, Jun 30, 2005.

1. the 85 f2.8 PC micro-nikkor and the 200 f4 micro-nikkor, so I can make my mind on which of the two will be my next choice to buy.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Me too, cause I'm hot for the PC micro. The 200 seems ... pedestrian by comparison. I'm thinking it's the knobs and scales though.

3. Chris, of all the camera i had the view camera is the one i like the most and this lens reminds me of that good old time.

4. To bad the people who buy the 85 PC micro don't seem to use them, I don't know why?

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well, just like a view camera takes a lot of work to get a single image, so would a PC/TS lens on a smaller camera. And speed is what small cameras are all about.

I want one (besides for the obvious fun of fiddling with all those controls) to take better shots of small items like glassware or chemical samples. I often use perspective and distortion in Photoshop to square things up, and I'm hoping the 85PC would get it right at the image plane. I'm sure there is some image degradation when stretched with Photoshop.

6. I purchased a 28mm PC Nikkor lens a few weeks ago from a local seller via eBay. It presents a few challenges to me since I am not well versed in manual focus or metering. But, I am looking forward to working with it. I wanted it specifically for architectural elevations and interiors. It is in pristine condition and the seller included a filter holder, lens hood, spirit level for the hot shoe, and a few other goodies. I did discover that it is a bit difficult to remove from the D70, but I thought it would suffice until I could afford the 85mm PC.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

8. Alex when you took the picture of your son, were the shift and tilt to the neutral position or if your put a little bit of shift and tilt?

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gilles,

I have never used the shift function before. You mainly use it for achitecture, or so em difficult situations. For this portrait i used tilt function full.
    You can see the dof at his hair and is mouth. When you look at the original version you will see that only his eyes are sharp. besides some sharpening and levels works there was no blur used in the picture.

alex

10. Alex do you have other pictures taken with the 85 on your site?

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gilles,

no i don't.
    What would you like to see ?
    maybe i can help you out.

alex

12. Alex any kind of picture with all the control flat to see if that lens is as sharp as i have read about it. I will be getting one next week and I want to know if I made a really good choice.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Gilles,

it's getting dark overhere now.
    I will try to make a portrait of my son tomorrow and will post them

alex

14. Take you very much Alex for taking the time, I greatly appreciate.

15. Yes Alex I can see the difference between 2.8 and 4.0. At F4.0 the zones of sharpness are more obvious.

16. Gilles,

i will do some more static tests tomorrow.
    I will choose a static subject. Will do this manual on tripod so there will be no differences in light , exposure etc.

17. First decent picture taken with the 85 f2.8 PC micro-nikkor. The only thing I have done is reduced the size of the picture.

[​IMG]

18. Gilles,

When you get a chance, could you post a few images utilizing the tilt-shift feature? I am especially interested in this lens. I purchased the 28mm PC Nikkor a few weeks ago. It does not meter with the D70, thus I haven't tried to use it much. I have much to learn and I have heard and read wonderful things about this lens.

19. Crystal i will try to use it this afternoon to see how they work, but i think the way i read it that the metering might be false if you tilt too much.

[​IMG]

One thing i noticed with that lens, the contrast seem to be very eaven from side to side.