I would love to see this feature here...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cleanmaxx Brian, May 17, 2007.

1. Hi all,
    As a member of many forums and an Administer of one, I have an idea for here. Why here? Because I think this is the BEST Nikon forum there is! (I belong to Nikonians and DP Review) I have slowly made this place a regular stomping ground although I am not all that frequent of a poster. Anyhow, my idea is to have a user enabled review section. I also visit Fredmiranda but feel their reviews are lacking many products!!! I would start off with Lenses and later include bodies and flashes etc. To see a "perfect" example of this review section, I invite you to visit: www.dyxum.com(a Sony/Minolta site)

At the top of the page, click lenses and then click Zoom Lenses (or Fixed Lenses or Macro).
    Now you will see all the lenses sorted by focal length. It will tell you if it is sold at B&H or Adorama. You can click on user reviews (and you can upload your own) see specs and published reviews and a picture of the lens in question.
    I can not tell you how awesome that site is...so much info and so easy to find what you are looking for. Best of all, EVERY lens that was made that has the Minolta mount is listed! The owners when starting the project would ask if anyone had a picture of a certain rare lens and it was added almost immediately. Now they have a picture of EVERY lens. Many with multiple angles!

My question here is, is this something Nikon users would use?
    If so, Does the owners of Nikon Cafe have the ability to undertake such a project?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Redundent.
    There are so many on line already

3. Really Gale? Can you tell me of such a place that has ALL the Nikon mount lenses in one place?

4. One place that springs to mind is http://www.bythom.com/ - has a good review section, but obviously these are HIS reviews, and not ours.

I think you suggestion is a good one, would like to see something similar here mostly because it is a review by people who use these things on a daily basis.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  6. Thanks all!
    Bjorns site is the best I have seen so far! Do you know if he plans on allowing owners reviews?

7. exactly Greg.

To be perfectly honest, I give a LOT more weight to members of this site reviews! Especially when you say what other lenses you compared it to. Most (if not all!) people will give non biased opinions. You as members can show how long you have had the lens in question and show any issues that may have come up...maybe over the years of having the lens, something professional reviews miss.

8. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Fred Miranda's site has a lens review forum. It's quite informative.

9. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    The difference is that this site would be OUR reviews... This is a relatively tight community, and knowing the people who post reviews would help out deeply. With FM, when I see a person I "know" post a review, i know whether or not it will be helpful to me since I know their photography or their methods more.

His idea get my vote...
    I can do reviews for the following:
    D70s
    D200
    D1H
    D2H

Tokina 12-24
    Tamron 17-50
    Nikkor 28 2.8, 35 2 mf, 50 1.4, 24-120 (non-vr), 85 2 mf, 80-200 afd, 300 2.8
    Sigma 70-200 2.8 DG Macro, 24-70 2.8-4

and others have a much more extensive list then me... we could def do this! :smile:

10. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

The trouble is some people would get hung up on those line things (for sharpness etc) whilst most would just say it's sharp/soft etc. How is my sharp against your version of sharp ?
    If you get everyone to photograph a brick wall then you also hope that all brickies build straight !!!!
    That's why Bjorn's site is probably best since it's consistant in review methodology - it's the same guy doing the reviews !!!
    But for what it's worth, all the lenses in my signature are great :smile:

11. Judging how the administrators of the Cafe have been resistant to changes I would say such a database has zero chance of being created here. Not that I can blame them, adding a new section to the forums is one thing creating a db with a unified and consistent reviewing process is another.

I think the best we can hope for is a link somewhere to the lens review section on Fred Miranda's site or maybe a section or sticky in the "Lens Lust" section containing NOTHING but lens reviews.

12. Brian, did you ever hear anything anything from the moderators on this idea?

13. Nope...not a word.
    Fred Miranda site is OK at best IMHO...there are soooo many lenses missing.

My idea requires work because ALL of the lenses get entered first. Then we as users put up our reviews. Do we rate on the same level...no. But that is why there is a section "compared too" or the lenses that you have used that are similar.

Let me say it again...go to the link I posted and wonder around. (I know it has nothing to do with Nikon...) Click a lens with a few reviews and you can tell if it is a dud or not. You can also hear about odd quirks or great bokeh or stick zoom rings or...you get the idea. That site alone saved me LOTS of $$$. Not only that, it is a great resource! Having pictures all in one place is great! How would you describe the difference between all of the 300mm lenses made by Nikon? Wouldn't it be great to SEE them in one place?

As it was said before, I am starting to "know" some of you... and YOUR opinions actually mean MORE to me than anything else. After all...it is an honest review (What's in it to lie?) by people with a passion for photography. That person got to use the lens shooting what he or she likes and then compares it to what they were using before.

14. Yea something like that would be pretty cool. It would also make finding reviews and opinions soooo much easier. There are just so many posts asking for a recommendation on a camera bag, tripod, lens, etc. etc. It would be nice to have them all organized like on the Minolta/Sony site. But then what else would we post in the hardware & Gear section?:wink:

15. Kerry Pierce

Kerry Pierce

Jan 7, 2006
    Detroit
    I agree with the OP. It would be a nice resource to have. The biggest problem with all of the other sites mentioned, is the 3rd party lens reviews. Bjorn doesn't review 3rd party lenses. Hogan only reviews 3rd party and other lenses that interest him, which are very, very few. FM is dominated by canon users, so the lens reviews aren't really applicable to nikon mount, plus FM just doesn't put up all of the nikkors or nikon bodies for users to comment on.

One thing, somewhat off-topic, about FM that I would suggest for the Cafe, is that people have to pay a small fee for listing stuff for sale. That would help support this site and the bandwidth use that is likely continually rising. It would also help defray any costs for a review section.

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank,
    Thanks for this link... have never seen this before.