I would rather see the DX line of lenses expanded instead of FF

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by DeoreDX, Jul 24, 2007.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX

Jan 16, 2007
    Alabamastan
    I know there are many out there in a huff over Nikon not having a FF option like Canon, but personally as an amateur I would much rather see the smaller sensor taken advantage of to make us some smaller, lighter, and cheaper versions of some of the pro glass out there.

OK, not pro glass, but, take the 18-200VR as an example. It's almost exactly the same size as the 24-120VR, but covers a much greater range with more advanced VR and with higher quality (at the expense of the pocket book).

17-55 f2.8 DX with crop factor covers a greater FoV then the equivalent 28-70 f2.8 on a FF, weights 6oz lighter (20% lighter!), takes up less volume, and is consistently $100-200 cheaper from all the online vendors.

Imagine if they came out with a DX version of the 70-200VR f2.8 that would be 20% lighter (almost 1/2 lb!!!) and cost a couple of hundreds less then the FF version of a 70-200vr. Smaller, lighter, cheaper versions of the FF lenses we love... my shoulders would love to see some of that come to fruition.

2. Honestly I don't know what all the huffle puff is all about that Full Frame mania, I just bought a D2Hs and intend to keep it for a little while so yea - gimme more DX lenses! Cause I intend to get a D200 soon as well :smile:

3. I couldnt disagree more. :wink:

Each to his own.

Dont own a single DX lens, and i never will.

4. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I coule see them co-existing together without any problems. In fact this is how I would like to see it happen. Both sided have their benifits and their shortcomings.
    I just hope nikon doesn't for get that alot of people don't use a D40 and a 18-200vr.

5. Well if Nikon wont be able offer a FF alternative in the near future, then ill probebly switch to mf a little earlier then i planned.

I dont really see a problem with catering both dx and FF market. Canon seems to do this quite sucessfull today.

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

personally i like ff lenses on my d50..after all, when shooting ff on DX you're using the sweet spot of the lens, aren't u?
    and, if and when i land a deal on an f100 everything fits ......win win, imho.
    ;-))

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

how bout a ff DX rangefinder with an af screw? how cool would that b?
    :Love:

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    DING DING DING! :smile:

That reminds me, this is why I was going to hold on to my 50/1.8, and of course the 35/2 is going nowhere. If and when I want to pickup a film body for the equivalent of 24MP, I've already got the lenses. :biggrin:

9. "Full frame sensor" is a comparison of apples to oranges in the first place.
    Why should a sensor have the same size with 135 film? Just because it is convenient for focal lengths and we are used to it?
    If the IQ is equal or better with the 135 film (another apples to oranges comparison though) then why should I want a bigger sensor? Just because Canon has one? Why not compete Mamiya then? Or Hasselblad? And carry huge lenses and work with huge computer files.
    I understand that everyone has their opinions, but please put me with the DX fans. And Nikon, give me some great, fast DX primes NOW!

10. yoyo

yoyo

Nov 9, 2006
    The Netherlands
    FF 4 me.
    But I'll keep my D2Hs.

11. As of now Nikon makes their big money off the masses, wich probebly is one of the reasons the pro market isnt getting that much attention.

Time will tell.

12. Probably. But don't forget that half a century ago, all large/medium format users used to say the same for the 135 film: That it would be the format for the masses and the amateurs only :biggrin:
    Anyway, I don't care what it's gonna be Nikon, 1.5X 1.33X 1.10X or FF, just stick to one of them and stop playing with this. Enough! And give us the new generation of fast primes!

13. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Unfortunately there is no need for fast DX primes in the consumer market and is something I don't see Nikon bringing out anytime soon. They would be better off making FF primes and bringing out FF cameras going forward IF they want to compete with Canon in the professional market (and DX cameras could always use the FF lenses anyway).

14. Full Frame not a bad idea...

I think a Full Frame camera could be compatible with DX lenses just by using a smaller portion of the sensor (perhaps through a menu option). It wouldn't be hard to be reverse compatable. Also, FF would benefit the wide angle shooters and then go DX in the menu to get the long focal length shots if you wished. Also with that option you could then play around with effective focal lengths with your full frame lenses ie 28-70 etc. Are more shooting options negative? I don't think so. On the other hand, I'm a cheap person when it comes to upgrading, who will probably have their D50 for the next 5 or 6 years (with great glass in front of it though).

15. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    We have 10-20, 10.5, 12-24...how much more wide do you want? FINE, how about 8mm peeling or sigma?

Honestly, Dx users can quite whining about Wide angles...we have Canon shooters destroyed in that, FF or not.

16. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Believe me, if I'm paying the huge premium for a FF DSLR, I'm not going to want to screw around with crop modes just so I can work on DX lenses. That's a little backwards, lol. I'd rather just stick with FF lenses so that if/when a FF DSLR is out I already have some lenses for it, OR if I want to play around with film I've got stuff that works too.

17. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The Canon 14mm f/2.8 prime on your choice of any of their FF cams is wider than 10mm on Nikon DX. :biggrin: I think Nikon also has a 14mm wide angle prime, but no FF digital to put it on. And the Canon 10-22 EF-S is apparently a much better piece of glass than the Nikkor 12-24DX is if you're talking about the crop factor cameras.

18. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    This is something that worries me some. They are making so much off of a D40x and 18-200 they may totally forget the pros small profit margin.
    I hope I'm wrong.

19. Faceman

Faceman

Aug 19, 2006
    LI, NY
    Let's say with FF lenses you get 18mp but in cropped mode and DX lenses you get 12mp. I could live with that.