Critique Ibis

Very nice. IMHO a big improvement, I was afraid you were going to be one of those guys that caught on quick!!
I hope you can see how nicely you captured a gesture with the beautiful water drops. That gives a reason you took the shot right now, not 10seconds from now or any other time. At least to me, that is important. Photos capture time, and we need a reason to capture the time when we do.
Still watch the foreground and background. The dappled background is still the lightest area in the image. The out of focus foreground blob in the left lower corner and some out of focus twigs weaken the image. Not trying to nitpick, but that is how I look at my own images. I rarely have an image without some issue somewhere.
Go shoot some more.
Gary

I never have an image without issues. That's true even when I'm making a photo in my makeshift studio, which allows me more control of the situation than any other shooting situation.
I suspect the issues you see are not seen or understood by others viewing your work, which looks so perfectly controlled to my eyes. I have images with flaws, and the flaws are sometimes the only things I see when I look at them. Other people love the prints and never even notice or understand my issues. I think sometimes our photographic eyes are too well trained. One of my other hobbies is close up magic, mostly cards. One of the hardest things is to think like a layman. Moves and ideas that are so obvious to me fly right by the normal spectator. I think photography is the same thing. Unless you are somehow trained to look, you never see.
We are not photographers because we see the surroundings differently, we see things differently because we are photographers.
Gary

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
Still watch the foreground and background. The dappled background is still the lightest area in the image. The out of focus foreground blob in the left lower corner and some out of focus twigs weaken the image. Not trying to nitpick, but that is how I look at my own images. I rarely have an image without some issue somewhere.
Go shoot some more.
Gary
Thanks for this feedback Gary. I did try to darken the background with a layer mask, but the difference in brightness was simply too much with the bird in shade and BG in partial sunlight. As you pointed out before, I need to keep looking for the best light.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom