IC 434 aka Horsehead Nebula

The Horsehead Nebula is a small dark nebula in the constellation Orion. The nebula is located near the easternmost star of Orion's Belt. The Horsehead Nebula is approximately 1375 light years from Earth. It is one of the most identifiable nebulae because of its resemblance to a horse's head. This was taken December 22nd this year and consists of 53 x 60 second exposures - so not a lot of time. It was done with a D5300, TCE14E and 70-200mm lens. My goal is to redo this with a lot more exposures - but since it is in Orion only visible in the cold winter months....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

nice shot! Have you ever thought of using a camera with bigger pixels for lower noise?

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" I want to see a shot of the beagle nebula!!!!" - Georgie Beagle

You really produce some stunning images! This one is no exception.
Ah thank you!

nice shot! Have you ever thought of using a camera with bigger pixels for lower noise?
Thanks! As it turns out, the D5300 is the best Nikon (well save for D810A) for Astro work. This one is modified... the IR filter was removed. Without that, getting the reds to come out is really tough. There are some noise reduction processes that can be used, but with The 5300 I usually only use those for longer exposures. I don’t think I would want to modify my D5... lol

Ah thank you!

Thanks! As it turns out, the D5300 is the best Nikon (well save for D810A) for Astro work. This one is modified... the IR filter was removed. Without that, getting the reds to come out is really tough. There are some noise reduction processes that can be used, but with The 5300 I usually only use those for longer exposures. I don’t think I would want to modify my D5... lol

that is cool, yes modifying your D5 would be scary... That explains the camera choice. I must say the guiding is excellent in this shot. nice round stars...

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

beautiful shot, i didn’t think that kind of photography could be done with that lens.
Thanks! Using a camera lens is often referred to as 'wide field'. The D5300 on my telescope gives me about 40'x27' FOV; using a lens around 200mm with the same camera gives me 7deg x 4deg; the planetary camera I use is 8'x6' - so depends on what you are trying to capture. A lot of amazing astro photos are done with simple camera lenses.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom