1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ice Cream and the "Cream Machine"

Discussion in 'People' started by frede, Jul 29, 2007.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Here's one from today - 85 f1.4@ 1.8. At one point I was going to sell this lens - I'm glad I didn't. Thanks for looking. :smile:

944570858_8fe79cf4c7_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow Frede ..wonderful image ...and gosh, she's growing up...;-(

3. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Very creamy and dreamy looking shot. Liked it very much.

4. Samer

Samer

Sep 19, 2006
    Jupiter, FL
    She's so cute! Nice capture Fred.

5. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    Goodness....what a beauty of a shot! Great separation from the BG and your subject is just adorable. Really nice capture Fred!

6. I love the Bokeh... I NEED this lens! Great shot.

7. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    What a wonderful capture Fred. Another great example of what this lens can do. :cool: 

8. Fred, beautiful daughter and beautiful capture.

Just one nit...I would open it in PS and move the left levels slider just a hair to the right to give it a touch more contrast...

Beautiful image, regardless...

9. Great shot! She's so cute!

Anthony

10. Nice one here, Fred.

I agree it could do with a bit more contrast. Mine does the same. It seems less contrasty than my 28-70mm or 70-200mmVR.

11. Good one Fred!! I told you you'd regret getting rid of the cream machine!! :biggrin: You've really got the hang of it!!!!

12. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Nute - she is growing fast - as is her ability to parse the rules...

Thank you!

Thanks Samer.

Thanks Stuart - I feel got this one pretty close, but there were many non-keepers.

Thanks Paul - the 85 1.8 @ a third of the price seems to also produce some nice shots/bokeh.

Thanks Banhup!

Thanks John, I will give that a try.

Thanks Anthony.

Yea, I agree it seems to have a lot do do with the angle of the light. At some point I'll figure it out - for now, I takes tons of shots and get 1 or 2 that are outstanding. Not a high percentage.

Thanks - I will NOT even entertain selling the lens again. Not really, as I still feel unsure using it - I'll only use it when I know I have "the" shot in the can with another lens.

13. Doug Lutke

Doug Lutke

Dec 30, 2006
    Michigan
    Dang, what a shot, that'd be one for the wall at my house.

14. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    One of the better 1.8 shots. I usually hate most 1.8 shots especially portraits but this seems to be nice for 1.8

15. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Doug. Good idea.

Thanks James.

16. That's because it doesn't have any ED elements. And it's also why it renders skin so nicely. You can always adjust contrast to taste in PS afterwards, but I rarely find it necessary.

Edit: Are you guys using a lens hood with your 85/1.4 lenses? It might solve your contrast issues.

83047862.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  17. what a cutie! great shot with a great lens.

18. What a nice bokeh on this shot of your cute daughter. Don't sell your 85mm f1.4 lens, it makes beautiful music.

19. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Frank. I always use the hood, but contrast is not my only issue with the lens. I also get a lot of very soft images with fairly quick shutter speeds - probably my fault.

Thank you Dee.

Thanks Gordon. I plan on keeping the lens because when I get a right it's truly amazing.

20. Phyxius

Phyxius Guest

Fred, very cute shot of a very cute girl. Congratulations!

(I just recently bought the 50mm 1.8, these little primes are great!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.