Ice Rink photography

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by VoidRaven, Apr 25, 2007.

1. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Alright folks...I need some advice. This weekend I will be attending a Special Olympics ice skating event that my brother will be skating in. Of course the gear is coming with me. Last time I tried to shoot the shots came out passable...not great but the family was happy. I'd like to try and improve this time around.

Lighting, of course, is unusual with the light bouncing off the ice and all. I don't know if I will be shooting from up high in the stands or if I will have the opportunity to be floor level. Will have to wait and see.

What kind of settings should I be working the camera with? I typically try to shoot no higher than ISO 400 (200 most commonly) with spot metering. Lately I've been running the camera in full manual mode but I might go to aperature priority for this shoot. Or maybe I should use more shutter priority??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Can you post a few from last year so we have a reference to work from?

Randy

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Don, if you can use a flash, that would be a welcome adjunct in managing adequate lighting in a dim environment. ISO 400, Manual mode, 1/80th second, WB for flash, aperture wide open then adjust from there pending histo and highlights, TTL with head at 45 degrees and deflector extended. This would be my starting point. If you can't use a flash, ISO 1600 is where I would be headed along with your fastest lens and don't be afraid of noise, just run the images through some noise reduction software and all should be golden. Although not great, nor is the processing, here are a few that I have taken. No flash and all shot at ISO 1600. Oh, contact JAlan, he shoots ice-related activities.

View attachment 92398

4. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Randy....I don't think I kept any after I sent some off to family. Will have to check but I think I pitched them all.

Frank....Thanks for the starting point! I will most likely be using my 80-200 2.8 for most of it. Might try the 50 1.8 if I can stand at ring side. Not sure if they allow flash...will have to ask. If they do I will have to do some serious guesswork as my SB-28DX will not TTL with my D200.

5. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Don, an important consideration is shutter speed. You'll need to be at least 1/250 sec to get acceptable results. Depending on the amount of light at this particular rink, 1/250 @ f/2.8 at ISO 800 is usually a good starting point. Other factors are white balance and exposure. Get out on the ice beforehand and set a preset white balance using a grey card. (A sheet of white printer paper or the ice itself will do in a pinch.) Also, take exposure meter readings off the grey card at different spots on the rink as well. On a large ice surface, one on-camera flash will be of little to no use, unless the subject is close to you. Shoot RAW and make sure you don't underexpose.

6. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    Ray....Thank you for the advice. Got it all tucked away for Saturday. We shall see how things go!