Iceland May/June

Thinking of going to Iceland in May or June with a friend, has anyone been there and any advice tips? Looking to do waterfall shots and coastline depending on weather. Any help advice greatly appreciated... :smile:

Hi Douglas...
sounds like a great trip!
Bob Hoge posted from his trip...
Perhaps this will be a start. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
There also was an article in Popular Photography a few months back titled something like "The x Best Places in the World for Photography". Iceland was one of the featured sites and there was a list of about ten places as "must shoots".

Incidentally, my son spent two weeks there with friends two years ago and says the place is absolutely spectacular.

Thanks Cheryle and Harry. Guess I should have been more specific. I was wondering about clothes, travel etc... The person I'm going with and I will spend the first 4-5 days scouting locations, maybe find some not photogrpahed as much.

I was there about 5 years ago. Suggest making reservations at places to stay in advance. They are small and far between. Drove the Ring Road (Hwy 1) around most of the island and it was fantastic. Waterfalls are special. It was cool-cold the end of May most of the time. Some sunny days and some rain in the north...wind can be very, very strong. Favorite places include south eastern shore to the glacier/ice cap areas.
Also drove out to some of the western peninsulas but we had made reservations months in advance. Icelanders are fantastic people. I know you will enjoy the experience. I'd go back in a second.

Hi, Iceland is an amazing place and depending on how much time you have, you could opt for the "Golden Circle", this will give you some higlights. It is a one day drive around the most important tourist highlights, all of which are nice to take pictures of, especially Gullfoss. This waterfall is impressive in any kind of weather. There is also a relatively nice area close to the airport just to the southwest near the Blue Lagoon swimming pool, where the black volcanic ashes give it a surreal atmosphere. I would have liked to go further to the north too when I was there, but didn't have the time. But, in my opinion the whole island is worth shooting. It is an out-of-this-world place and no matter where you go, you will find nice images there!
Weather can be nice but also chilly, it tends to change a lot. Many layers and some windbreaker/waterproof jacket should do the trick.

Do post the results when you get back :)

I was there about 5 years ago. Suggest making reservations at places to stay in advance. They are small and far between. Drove the Ring Road (Hwy 1) around most of the island and it was fantastic. Waterfalls are special. It was cool-cold the end of May most of the time. Some sunny days and some rain in the north...wind can be very, very strong. Favorite places include south eastern shore to the glacier/ice cap areas.
Also drove out to some of the western peninsulas but we had made reservations months in advance. Icelanders are fantastic people. I know you will enjoy the experience. I'd go back in a second.
Thanks, we will be camping, no reservations needed ;)

Hi, Iceland is an amazing place and depending on how much time you have, you could opt for the "Golden Circle", this will give you some higlights. It is a one day drive around the most important tourist highlights, all of which are nice to take pictures of, especially Gullfoss. This waterfall is impressive in any kind of weather. There is also a relatively nice area close to the airport just to the southwest near the Blue Lagoon swimming pool, where the black volcanic ashes give it a surreal atmosphere. I would have liked to go further to the north too when I was there, but didn't have the time. But, in my opinion the whole island is worth shooting. It is an out-of-this-world place and no matter where you go, you will find nice images there!
Weather can be nice but also chilly, it tends to change a lot. Many layers and some windbreaker/waterproof jacket should do the trick.

Do post the results when you get back :)
Thank you, we will be there 2 weeks, just for photography. We do plan on driving the ring road to scout, then probably go back to the places we liked. :smile: The weather information you all are providing will be quite helpful.

Thinking of going to Iceland in May or June with a friend, has anyone been there and any advice tips? Looking to do waterfall shots and coastline depending on weather. Any help advice greatly appreciated... :smile:
Iceland is a very windy and rainy place. The weather is usually the worst on the western side and it tends to get drier when you go north. Bring rain protection for yourself and your equipment. Be careful when opening car doors, the wind may rip them off. Often dusty, be careful with lens changes.

If you venture away from the paved ring road, you will need a four wheel drive. Watch out for sheep, if you hit one, there will be big trouble. Gas stations are few and far between. Iceland is a fairly large place. If you intend to drive the ring road, you will not have much time for "scouting".

The country is very photogenic, the natives are friendly and generally speak excellent English.

I was there in the fall, and that was over 20 years ago, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

The weather can change quickly. One day it is nice, and the next it is cold, wet and windy, with lots of clouds, fog, and low ceilings. So always take advantage of a nice weather day, because there might not be any others. The Northern Lights were very impressive while I was there. Not sure if that will be the same in the summer, but if so, be sure not to miss the light show. The other thing I remember, is that it is very expensive when it comes to thing like eating out. So take lots of money. :eek:

Have a fun trip!

Iceland is amazing, but it's true what they say: It's expensive. Very hard to eat for under $20, and that's not fancy. You will not run out of things to shoot. It is a place meant for you!

And yes, it's the land of waterfalls!

Under the Falls by rich_gersh, on Flickr

It's also wet, but the summer months tend to be dryer. They will also be more crowded.

I was there in October. Here's a link to my Flickr set.

If you're there for 2 weeks, get an SUV and drive through the interior. If you send me your address via PM, I will send you my road atlas and guide books.

The best advice I found in a book was this: If you drive two hours, it's worth spending the night. It's not a very large country, but you can spend days traveling a very short distance.

If I had been there in season, I would have liked to have hiked Thorsmork. It's only accessible by foot and/or horseback.

When I'm less tired and have thought about it more, I'll post more specifics.

Iceland is a very windy and rainy place. The weather is usually the worst on the western side and it tends to get drier when you go north. Bring rain protection for yourself and your equipment. Be careful when opening car doors, the wind may rip them off. Often dusty, be careful with lens changes.

If you venture away from the paved ring road, you will need a four wheel drive. Watch out for sheep, if you hit one, there will be big trouble. Gas stations are few and far between. Iceland is a fairly large place. If you intend to drive the ring road, you will not have much time for "scouting".

The country is very photogenic, the natives are friendly and generally speak excellent English.
Thanks, this helps plan for clothing and gear :smile:

I was there in the fall, and that was over 20 years ago, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

The weather can change quickly. One day it is nice, and the next it is cold, wet and windy, with lots of clouds, fog, and low ceilings. So always take advantage of a nice weather day, because there might not be any others. The Northern Lights were very impressive while I was there. Not sure if that will be the same in the summer, but if so, be sure not to miss the light show. The other thing I remember, is that it is very expensive when it comes to thing like eating out. So take lots of money. :eek:

Have a fun trip!
We will be camping along the way and taking the light weight hiking stove. I'm hoping we can by food in stores to cook or snack most of the time.

Iceland is amazing, but it's true what they say: It's expensive. Very hard to eat for under $20, and that's not fancy. You will not run out of things to shoot. It is a place meant for you!

And yes, it's the land of waterfalls!

[URL]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5080544764_f5a5dd1067_b.jpg[/url]
Under the Falls by rich_gersh, on Flickr

It's also wet, but the summer months tend to be dryer. They will also be more crowded.

I was there in October. Here's a link to my Flickr set.

If you're there for 2 weeks, get an SUV and drive through the interior. If you send me your address via PM, I will send you my road atlas and guide books.

The best advice I found in a book was this: If you drive two hours, it's worth spending the night. It's not a very large country, but you can spend days traveling a very short distance.

If I had been there in season, I would have liked to have hiked Thorsmork. It's only accessible by foot and/or horseback.

When I'm less tired and have thought about it more, I'll post more specifics.
Thanks for the offer Rich, I'm going with a landscape photographer friend from the Czech Republic and he has a lot of that info. Thank goodness we are both cheap Bast....'s, so I expect the major expense will be the car. Boy they charge a ton of money for those!

Those are some really, really nice pictures!

Top Bottom