Iceland Winter

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
A tip on layers...

Don't have too many, you're better of with fewer big layers. This is especially true if you're doing excursions and will be in/out of a vehicle regularly. Outside you want to be nice and warm but when you get inside (hotel/bus/car etc) you want to be able to remove the layers quickly as it will be warm. I learnt this the hard way the first time I went when I had to strip off on a full bus to remove thermal leggings, I nearly passed out as they had the bus heating on full, I was dressed for standing outside in -12C for several hours (it was worth it!). The second time I went I refined my layering to fewer big layers and found it much better (and it was even colder, -15C some days).

GREAT advice! And what a great shot you created! I sooooo hope we get the see the aurora at least once (preferably without gail force winds. LOL!!)

GREAT advice! And what a great shot you created! I sooooo hope we get the see the aurora at least once (preferably without gail force winds. LOL!!)

The Aurora is pot luck, Feb should be a good time though. We saw it 3 times in 7 days, we met several people who had been to Iceland many times over several years and not seen them at all, we felt very lucky! I don't remember it being too windy anywhere other than the south coast at Vik where the beach was a little blustery, maybe we got lucky again?! I hope you have a fantastic trip, it's a photographers heaven!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Re: layers. That's why I wore snowboard pants over my tactical pants. Easy to get on and off. I hate the feel of long layers under my pants and harder to get off and on.

Thanks! I have thermals and fleece pants and insulated ski pants. Hopefully that should do it - depending on conditions! I also have hunters wool socks and Sorel boots good to -25° with removable liners. Down jacket, thermals and thin wool sweaters. Rain coat. Vallarett photographers Ipsoot gloves. I bought Kahootla micro spikes but will return them :( since the guide says they will provide them and a helmet for ice caves. All I need is ability to create images of what I see! LOL!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom