Iceland

Day 12 - Dettifoss

Today we start with a slight rain but it clears up when we get out of the car at out first stop: Ásbyrgi. This is 4km long V-shaped gorge. We had intended to walk along the rim to a nice vantage point but this required some serious climbing that was not possible for me because of a previously dislocated shoulder. So instead we went into the gorge and had a look around but we didn't get the nice view of the layout of the gorge.

20130624_ijsland_1699.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20130624_ijsland_1703.jpg

After this we drove along a dirt road to Vesturdalur where we hiked to the Raudhólar viewpoint and the Hljódaklettar area with some imposing basalt formations.

20130624_ijsland_1727.jpg

20130624_ijsland_1729.jpg

20130624_ijsland_1732.jpg

Here we had our lunch and then continued along the dirt road to one of the more imposing waterfalls of Iceland: Dettifoss. The condition of the road is such that you cannot go faster than about 20km/h so it took about an hour to get there. And because the road between Dettifoss and the main circular road is now fully paved and smooth riding, the number of people here is quite a lot.

As a few busloads of tourists are walking to Dettifoss we decide to pay a visit to Selfoss first. This is a 10 minutes walk and when we get there, it is relatively quiet so we can take some nice images. The waterfall is about 12m high.

20130624_ijsland_1733.jpg

20130624_ijsland_1746.jpg

After this we walk back towards Dettifoss and we see that most people have left so we can enjoy the view without the hordes of people walking around. The waterfall is 44m high.

20130624_ijsland_1747.jpg

20130624_ijsland_1755.jpg

After this we go back to the main road and continue to Myvatn lake, our next stop. Here we are greeted by the flies and mosquitos that are the key element in sustaining the ecosystem in and around the lake.

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-dettifoss/

Day 13 - Myvatn

We thought that the flies and mosquitos were bad when we arrived yesterday but today we were attacked as soon as we left the door of the cottage. After breakfast we started our tour around the 37km2 big lake.

First stop is Höfdi, a small property where we can view some birds and get some views on the lake.

20130625_ijsland_1773.jpg

A redwing chick:
20130625_ijsland_1777.jpg

And some tufted ducks:
20130625_ijsland_1785.jpg

Next stop: Skútustadir. This area shows some pseudo craters created about 2300 years ago. You can walk along the ridge of the craters and follow a path along a smaller lake.

20130625_ijsland_1786.jpg

20130625_ijsland_1808.jpg

20130625_ijsland_1819.jpg

Continuing along the road around the lake we stop to go the premium viewpoint of the lake: the top of Vindbelgjarfjall at 529m. With the company of flies we hike to the top and enjoy the view. With the wind blowing the flies are less of a nuisance so we can enjoy our lunch without the extra protein.

20130625_ijsland_1833.jpg

Going up:
20130625_ijsland_1839.jpg

View on the lake and Hverfjall in the back:
20130625_ijsland_1847.jpg

After going down (with flies again) we continue to the Neslandavík peninsula. The area is off-limits because of the breeding season but we can visit the bird museum. Here we have a nice view of part of the lake but the number of birds is not so impressive here. They are mostly located at the other end of the lake.

Horned Grebbe:
20130625_ijsland_1889.jpg

Some fellow photographers:
20130625_ijsland_1878.jpg

After this we completed the tour and went back to the cottage. While waiting for dinner time a storm approached and we saw a lightning flash, something that is very rare in Iceland.

20130625_ijsland_1904.jpg

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-myvatn/

Thanks for sharing, Kees.
I think when a wild and uncontaminated nature meets the respectful hand of the inhabitants and they are not too many, it must be a pleasure living there and beautiful pictures are just a natural consequence of this positive relationship. I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet such a reality for all the required time. I wish I could do that next year when I'd love to go and celebrate my 40th b'day in Central Asia, but so far it's only a dream.

Day 14 - Askja

The weather forecasts are not very positive and predict some rain so we pack all the rain gear. We have an excursion today to the Askja crater and drive to the pickup point. Here we get on the tour bus capable of driving the dirt road. It is a small group and the second excursion this year (the first was two days ago) and we are warned there is still a lot of snow.

20130626_ijsland_1907.jpg

The bus takes the main road and turns off at Hrossaborg, a crater used in earlier times to coral horses. We drive through a landscape of lava fields. The first stop is at the crossing of one of the rivers. Here we can fill our water bottles with ice cold and clear water.

20130626_ijsland_1906.jpg

20130626_ijsland_1909.jpg

The next stop is some small gorge where we can view some small waterfalls and rapids. Here we have some rain but it is not much.

20130626_ijsland_1923.jpg

We continue and after another stop we arrive at Dreki, at the base of the Askja crater. Here we can drive just a little but further until we have to exit the bus and use a snowplow to get to the parking lot where we start to walk to the crater.

20130626_ijsland_1926.jpg

20130626_ijsland_1939.jpg

From the parking lot we walk to the edge of the crater lake. This is about 40 minutes through snow with an increasing wind. The advantage is that the rain is blown over.

20130626_ijsland_1949.jpg

At the edge of the crater lake the wind blows so hard that it is very difficult to stand upright without being blown away. The loose ash, sand and pebbles are bombarding us and the guide tells everyone to head back to the parking lot.

20130626_ijsland_1951.jpg

We have to wait a while for the snowplow to pick us up again and we head back to Dreki where we can walk around a bit as we have some time to spare. We walk a bit into Drekagil, a small gorge.

20130626_ijsland_1962.jpg

After this we head back to Myvatn where we arrive around 7pm. We grab some dinner and finish the day with a beer and a nice whisky.

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-askja/

Thanks for sharing, Kees.
I think when a wild and uncontaminated nature meets the respectful hand of the inhabitants and they are not too many, it must be a pleasure living there and beautiful pictures are just a natural consequence of this positive relationship. I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet such a reality for all the required time. I wish I could do that next year when I'd love to go and celebrate my 40th b'day in Central Asia, but so far it's only a dream.

Thanks! I can only say that you should try to realize your dream as central Asia is a beautiful region to visit.

Ciao Kees
you won't understand Italian but I guess you will surely understand easily which is the subject of this funny song of the 60's sung by Betty Curtis played inside a bank safe/vault :biggrin: This is my problem,so far is still a dream :smile:
Abba much later made a similar song which had more or less the same (English) title.. guess what is ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIgYWGcB1E

Ciao Kees
you won't understand Italian but I guess you will surely understand easily which is the subject of this funny song of the 60's sung by Betty Curtis played inside a bank safe/vault :biggrin: This is my problem,so far is still a dream :smile:
Abba much later made a similar song which had more or less the same (English) title.. guess what is ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWIgYWGcB1E

Yeah, I know of the saldi problem :biggrin: And you need lots when you go to Iceland....

Great set again Kees. Thanks for posting and telling!

You're welcome, and I've still got 9 more days to post!

Lol, I see you got it, but just to laugh a bit, it's not a problem of sAldi (what women love! Sales! Clearance sales!) but sOldi (money) :) :) :)
Remember if you come to Italy !!! sOldi make you purchase sAldi or viceversa to get sAldi you need sOldi :tongue:

Lol, I see you got it, but just to laugh a bit, it's not a problem of sAldi (what women love! Sales! Clearance sales!) but sOldi (money) :) :) :)
Remember if you come to Italy !!! sOldi make you purchase sAldi or viceversa to get sAldi you need sOldi :tongue:

I guess you figured out that I'm not fluent in Italian :biggrin:

Day 15 - Another day at Myvatn

The weather has cleared up a bit since yesterday but the wind is blowing pretty hard. The advantage is that the number of flies and mosquitos is minimal. We first go to the geothermal field Hverir. Here you can see some mud and sulfur bubbling to the surface.

20130627_ijsland_1969.jpg

20130627_ijsland_2020.jpg

After this we want to visit the Krafla power station but the visiter center is not yet open. So we just drive to a nice viewpoint of the power station.

20130627_ijsland_2037.jpg

We also visit the small explosion crate Viti. The water has a nice emerald color.

20130627_ijsland_2044.jpg

We return to the lake to visit Dimmuborgir, an area where you walk between some nice lava rock formations. Also it is possible to see the Gerfalcon as it nests in one of the formations. But we were not so lucky...

20130627_ijsland_2050.jpg

20130627_ijsland_2063.jpg

After a nice walk around Dimmuborgir we basically do the same tour around the lake again (minus the climb to the viewpoint on top of Vindbelgjarfall) and stop at most of the same places. Some random images.

View of the lake:
20130627_ijsland_2093.jpg

20130627_ijsland_2103.jpg

Snipe:
20130627_ijsland_2132.jpg

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-nog-een-rondje-myvatn/

Day 16 - Borgarfjördur

This is one of the rare days where we have rain. Not so bad because we mostly drive from the lake to Egilsstadir in the Eastern Fjords. On the way we see the Pink-Footed Goose crossing the road with a bunch of chicks following.

20130628_ijsland_2207.jpg

We follow the road and enter the Jökuldalur valley where we see a number of nice waterfalls right beside the road.

20130628_ijsland_2223.jpg

Before we arrive at Egilsstadir we turn of the road to go to Borgarfjördur where another birding place is located. Along the road we see the Ptarmigan which we missed in Hornstrandir. It stops just to pose for us.

20130628_ijsland_2240.jpg

The remainder of the way to Borgarfjördur is through some heavy rain which is a shame as we have to drive through a nice mountainous landscape. But maybe the rain will stop on the way back. After some lunch we drive to the harbor to the birding place. This is just the rocks at the end of the harbor with a few viewing platforms. But when we climb the stairs to one of the platforms we see the extend of the cliffs where Puffins and other birds are nesting.

20130628_ijsland_2248.jpg

20130628_ijsland_2260.jpg

20130628_ijsland_2282.jpg

Getting back to Egilsstadir we stop to take a few pictures although the rain hasn't really stopped and the wind has increased significantly.

20130628_ijsland_2314.jpg

Just outside of Egilsstadir we walk to another waterfall as the weather has cleared up.

20130628_ijsland_2341.jpg

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-borgarfjordur/

Great set again Kees. Shame about the rain, but what I know about Iceland, not surprising!

Thanks Rob. The rain was not too bad, but the wind was preventing us from taking any pictures around the mountain pass. Get the lenscap off and you had an instant sprinkle of raindrops on the lens.

Day 17 - Eastern fjords

The journey continues along the Lagarfljót lake where the clouds and surrounding mountains are nicely reflected in the water. While driving we come across a few reindeer, a not so common sight in the low lands.

20130629_ijsland_2352.jpg

20130629_ijsland_2353.jpg

Also along the lake is a great waterfall: Hengifoss. The waterfall is 118m high and is followed by another smaller waterfall: Litlanesfoss. The hike from the road takes you first to the smaller waterfall, followed by the large waterfall. If you want, you can walk all the way to the foot of the waterfall, but we stopped at a nice viewpoint.

Litlanesfoss:
20130629_ijsland_2391.jpg

Hengifoss:
20130629_ijsland_2402.jpg

The wide-angle view from the viewpoint:
20130629_ijsland_2400.jpg

After the waterfalls we drive back along the other side of the road and start our crossing to the eastern fjords. As with the western fjords you drive along coastal roads and large bays.

20130629_ijsland_2444.jpg

20130629_ijsland_2448.jpg

20130629_ijsland_2594.jpg

We make several stops and at one of them we spot the Pigeon Guillemot.

20130629_ijsland_2590.jpg

We end our day just outside of the town of Höfn. Here we enjoy the sun with a nice Budweiser (the Czech original, so it tasted like a proper beer :biggrin:) and a nice dinner.

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-oostelijke-fjorden/

Day 18 - Icebergs and glaciers

It is rather clouded when we start the day. We are on our way to the icebergs in Jökulsárlón lake and when we arrive at the office of the tour operator we only have to wait about 5 minutes before the boat leaves. The lake lies at the end of the Breidamerkurjökull glacier and is about 15 square kilometer is size and max 190m deep. The icebergs remain in the lake until they have melted enough to pass under the bridge and drift into the ocean.

20130630_ijsland_2632.jpg

20130630_ijsland_2638.jpg

20130630_ijsland_2660.jpg

After the lake we continue and pass the farm where tomorrows excursion starts and our hotel for the night on our way to Skaftafell national park. The park is a lot more crowded than any of the previous places we have been, but after a nice lunch we set out for a nice hike.

We walk from the visitor center to the Svartifoss waterfall. This waterfall is surrounded by nice basalt columns.

20130630_ijsland_2752.jpg

As most people walk back to the visitor center we continue our hike across the mountain to the other side where we have a magnificent view on the Skaftafellsjökull glacier and the highest peak of Iceland: Hvannadalshnúkur at 2110m.

20130630_ijsland_2764.jpg

20130630_ijsland_2768.jpg

After we complete our hike we head back to the hotel where we enjoy another beer (yes, it's a recurring theme) and nice dinner. We can take it easy as the tour tomorrow starts at noon.

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-jokulsarlon-en-skaftafell/

Day 19 - More birds...

We take it easy in the morning as we have plenty of time until our tour at Ingólfshöfdi starts at noon. After breakfast we take a look at the old church which is restored. It is one of the few remaining turf-roofed churches in Iceland.

20130701_ijsland_2783.jpg

20130701_ijsland_2785.jpg

After the church we take a look at a few of the glaciers along the road before we head to Ingólfshöfdi. The weather is changing as more and more clouds appear in the sky but the rain keeps away.

20130701_ijsland_2794.jpg

20130701_ijsland_2802.jpg

We head back to Ingólfshöfdi were we have to wait a while for our guide to arrive and our carriage is returned. The area is owned by a few farmers who saw that tourism was a great way to earn money from the land. It is a small group and we head out to the place where the first vikings landed.

Our ride:
20130701_ijsland_2817.jpg

The weather along the coast is getting worse but we still have a lot of sunshine while we are on tour.

20130701_ijsland_2820.jpg

On the cape we see the usual bird suspects but also a few nice surprises.

Great Skua:
20130701_ijsland_2828.jpg

Great Skua chick:
20130701_ijsland_3032.jpg

Great Black-Backed Gull chicks:
20130701_ijsland_2852.jpg

And of course a lot of Puffins:
20130701_ijsland_2938.jpg

20130701_ijsland_3024.jpg

After the tour is finished we continue to our hotel and when we head a bit more inland the rain starts. In the hotel we talk to a few people and they have had rain all day in Skaftafell national park.

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-ingolfshofdi/

Day 20 - Laki excursion

Another day where the weather forecast predicts rain but the sun is shining when we drive to the pickup point of our excursion to the Lakagígar vulcano and the Laki mountain. First stop is the small gorge Fjadrárgljúfur where we walk a bit along the edge.

20130702_ijsland_3097.jpg

20130702_ijsland_3104.jpg

After the gorge the roads start to get worse and you need a decent 4WD to get anywhere. Our bus has no problems with the bumpy road and after crossing a river we get to the Fagrifoss waterfall.

20130702_ijsland_3114.jpg

20130702_ijsland_3132.jpg

Next stop is the Laki mountain. The weather is starting to turn and clouds appear while the wind is picking up. The mountain is 818m high and from the parking lot it is about 45 minutes to the top where you have a nice view over the area. In both directions you see a line of craters (total distance is about 24km).

20130702_ijsland_3150.jpg

20130702_ijsland_3164-HDR.jpg

20130702_ijsland_3170-HDR.jpg

After we get back to the bus we continue to one of the craters. Here we decent a bit to a small lake and follow the path created by the lava in the last eruption.

20130702_ijsland_3196.jpg

20130702_ijsland_3204.jpg

20130702_ijsland_3213.jpg

During the drive back to the pickup point, we take a few short stops to take some pictures of the landscape.

20130702_ijsland_3240-HDR.jpg

20130702_ijsland_3246-HDR.jpg

Album link: http://www.halfje-bruin.nl/2013/07/ijsland-laki/

Latest threads

Top Bottom