iChat compatability with PC?????

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ubetcha, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    One thing that I really love about my new MBP (macBook Pro) is the ability to video chat with my son who is away at college, he has a MacBook. I decided to make it a total family affair...just got back from Best Buy after purchasing two Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000. One each for my wife's PC and another for my other son's PC laptop. He installed them both and we set out to test them. I was able for a short time, to make a connection to my wife's PC (AIM) from my MBP (iChat) then the whole thing came crashing down. Both PC's froze up and we all lost Wireless) internet connection. I had to remove the software from both PCs and restart the cable modem and wireless router. Now we all have internet service but the LifeCams are being re-packaged to take back tomorrow.

Question: Is there a webcam or software that will allow iChat to work with AIM???

2. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Sorry for the non-answer, but give Skype a try if you don't get it working. Works much better for video.

David

3. You can use iChat video with an AOL IM account and windows.

4. The cameras have to compatible with some standard and I am sorry but I do not recall the letters. I think this was discussed in the last MacOSG podcast though.

5. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca

This is what we tried to set up and failed. I know that we must be missing something on the PC side of the setup. Do you known the steps.

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I can send text only to a Windows machine running AIM, but have not been able to send 1-way video to an AIM Windows machine without a camera.

Yet, my mac works flawlessly with other macs running AIM or .mac

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks Greg, this looks to be the solution to my setup proble.