Icon mystery

This icon just recently appeared in my Opera browser sidebar. It is not listed in the sidebar setup and no info window appears when I hover over it with the mouse (as all the others do). I reluctantly clicked on it and a message popped up that said the app could not run with javascript disabled (which is the default). I don't like this. Anyone have a clue?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Maybe the icon means there is a high-percentage chance that something will go wrong when you click it.
That's pretty close to my own thinking so I'm not inclined to enable JS just to see what it does. OTOH, the lack of any info or tool tip containing any enticement to click on it makes me think it could be benign. Or not...

I've posted about this at the Opera forum. I'll update with any new info.

I think I'd just delete it, send it to the trash bin and completely get rid of it.
It's not clickable or removable (for me) but apparently it's not malicious, merely annoying. According to multiple annoyed users on the Opera forum, this is a link to Black Friday ads. Those with JS enabled will see these ads as well as an option to Don't show this again, which apparently does not work. Oh well, now that I know I can safely ignore it, I don't care.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It's not clickable or removable (for me) but apparently it's not malicious, merely annoying. According to multiple annoyed users on the Opera forum, this is a link to Black Friday ads. Those with JS enabled will see these ads as well as an option to Don't show this again, which apparently does not work. Oh well, now that I know I can safely ignore it, I don't care.
I see Opera is down to about 2%.
Firefox is down to only about 8%.
Google's marketing of Chrome has worked incredibly well. We seem to be heading slowly towards a world with just Chrome and Safari.

Probably once Black Friday sales are over they'll magically remove this annoyance and you won't be pestered by it any more.....

I see Opera is down to about 2%.
Firefox is down to only about 8%.
Google's marketing of Chrome has worked incredibly well. We seem to be heading slowly towards a world with just Chrome and Safari.
Many of the alternate browsers are based on Chrome (Firefox is a notable exception) so even if you don't have Chrome installed you may still be using its underlying engine.

True, but Chrome by itself has 70%!
Yeah, but given Google's history of playing fast and loose with data collection, I only use chrome based browsers for stuff like Nikon Cafe, i.e. recreational surfing and I use Google's search engine only infrequently. All my financial/secure dealings use Firefox over VPN.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom