Icy Waters at Great Falls NP Virginia

We have had a cold snap for the last week which has helped make the falls a little more dramatic with some ice. This is from the Virginia side looking north - Maryland is on the right, Virginia on the left. Enjoy!

128915116-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

128915151-L.jpg

128915182-L.jpg

Nice, Mark, but brrrrr! ;-) I'm such a wuss about the cold. But looking at this I think it would be fun to get out and shoot some frozen stuff for a change.

I'm used to looking at the falls from the other side. :)

Janet

JB

The falls are beautiful any time of year. Thanks for sharing. Visitors to Washington are always shocked to find such natural, rugged beauty just a few miles up stream from Washington.

Nice, Mark, but brrrrr! ;-) I'm such a wuss about the cold. But looking at this I think it would be fun to get out and shoot some frozen stuff for a change.

I'm used to looking at the falls from the other side. :)

Janet

Janet, Yes it was cold, but, there was no wind which really helped. For some reason there was a lack of visitors to the falls....I now have three sets of shots - regular water height, low water, flood stage, and now icy waters - I hope to get back out there when there is snow on the ground - that should offer a different perspective.

The falls are beautiful any time of year. Thanks for sharing. Visitors to Washington are always shocked to find such natural, rugged beauty just a few miles up stream from Washington.

JB, Your welcome - you are correct there are many photo opts in the DC area - you do not have to go far to find different subject material. I still want to get down to the Lincoln in the evening and some snow shots. Union Station on a SUnday morning, lack of people, is another place I want to hit.

These are great, Mark! Makes me shiver just looking at them, though....

I've been there in the spring but it never occurred to me to take a look at them when everything's frozen!! Really neat images!

Thanks Connie - I understand some of the camera instructors like to come here - I understand why. Just put on your parka and head out some weekend! :)

I want to come back when we hhave our next snow fall - might even be this week from what I hear.

i like the movement in #2, well done.

Brian

Thank you Brian. It is a little hard to appreciate how tall these particaular falls are - I was able to capture some folks running these last summer - that added some perspective to how tall they really are.

Latest threads

Top Bottom