ID needed please.

This bird flew into a tree in my yard yesterday. He was waaaaay up so I was really stretching my 70 - 300 to it's limits - not to mention my sore neck. Anyway, he was up their cleaning himself then spread his wings out to dry. Does anyone know what bird this is? My guess is it is a juvenile Red Tailed Hawk. It must be very young though because it doesn't have any coloring on it's head yet, just a black mask around it's eyes.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 93231

View attachment 93232

View attachment 93233

View attachment 93234

I have never seen one Yvette. That was a tough shoot. But you got the info needed.

Keep you eye out for it again.

Could be a White-tailed Kite but wouldn't the tail feathers appear white or grey from the underside, even in a juvenile? The only rufous/brownish color I can find in any descriptions or photos is a little under the chin and on the back of the head and neck on 1st year juveniles.

Where are you in Florida? My maps show White-tails in the SE part of the state. If you're in the panhandle maybe a Mississippi Kite? (Not that they can't be seen in other regions.)

Could be a White-tailed Kite but wouldn't the tail feathers appear white or grey from the underside, even in a juvenile? The only rufous/brownish color I can find in any descriptions or photos is a little under the chin and on the back of the head and neck on 1st year juveniles.

Where are you in Florida? My maps show White-tails in the SE part of the state. If you're in the panhandle maybe a Mississippi Kite? (Not that they can't be seen in other regions.)
Gene, I am in Tallahasse. Looking at the Mississippi Kite, it looks very much like it. Ummm....I wonder?

That is a Mississippi Kite. A White-tailed would have obvious white coloring on at least some or most of it's breast. The uniformity of the gray coloring cinches it.
Becoming less and less uncommon on the west coast of Florida and frequent sightings are reported in Jacksonville area as well. Only had one down my way in Titusville 2 years ago.

That is a Mississippi Kite. A White-tailed would have obvious white coloring on at least some or most of it's breast. The uniformity of the gray coloring cinches it.
Becoming less and less uncommon on the west coast of Florida and frequent sightings are reported in Jacksonville area as well. Only had one down my way in Titusville 2 years ago.
Thanks Thomas. Glad that I now know what it is. I have never seen one around here before. Hopefully I will get to see it again.

Well, I was close...I didn't have a good picture of a Mississippi kite to compare with Yvette's. :biggrin:

Well, I was close...I didn't have a good picture of a Mississippi kite to compare with Yvette's. :biggrin:
The two are very similar. If someone didn't say Mississippi Kite I would have believed it was the other. Thanks anyway for your input. Much appreciated.

Latest posts