ID request

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Aug 22, 2005.

1. This guy is about the size of a crossbill (I think that is what he is) and has been at our feeder for about a week now - location Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.

While I am posting, here is a sparrow (I think :LOL:)

View attachment 14298

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  2. What detail in both but the second is awesome, sorry cant help with the ID, hopefully Janet will pop in she knows them all

3. He he - just like yours :smile: When things go right with the D2X they really go right.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Nice shots Rory. I can't postitively ID the bird, but I'm pretty sure that it's not a crossbill. Not crossed enough. :wink:

Actually, it looks like a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

5. Good call Frank. I missed that one in my book. It looks like it is a black-headed grosbeak. That is a first for me. It is really easy to spook - this is the first time I have been able to get a shot of it.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Yeah, could be either. Hard call with the very small pics in my Sibley's. Your shot is actually much better. :wink:

7. Great job Rory, your right, when it goes right it goes right, dang those are sharp! First one is definitely a female Rose Breasted Grosbeak, fairly rare for your parts. Second one Im guessing is a sparrow, if I had to make a guess it would be a field sparrow? Beautifully done Rory!!

8. Nice crisp shot, Rory. I think you're correct; it is a female black-headed grosbeak. Now the sparrow, that gets tough ... :) :)

9. awesome detail on the shots. cant help you with the id though...

10. I see you have the ID you were looking for. Nice image Rory.