ID request

This guy is about the size of a crossbill (I think that is what he is) and has been at our feeder for about a week now - location Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.

48082408.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

While I am posting, here is a sparrow (I think :LOL:)

View attachment 14298

Last edited by a moderator:
mike mac said:
What detail in both but the second is awesome, sorry cant help with the ID, hopefully Janet will pop in she knows them all

He he - just like yours :smile: When things go right with the D2X they really go right.

Nice shots Rory. I can't postitively ID the bird, but I'm pretty sure that it's not a crossbill. Not crossed enough. :wink:

Actually, it looks like a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Flew said:
Nice shots Rory. I can't postitively ID the bird, but I'm pretty sure that it's not a crossbill. Not crossed enough. :wink:

Actually, it looks like a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

Good call Frank. I missed that one in my book. It looks like it is a black-headed grosbeak. That is a first for me. It is really easy to spook - this is the first time I have been able to get a shot of it.

hillrg said:
Good call Frank. I missed that one in my book. It looks like it is a black-headed grosbeak. That is a first for me. It is really easy to spook - this is the first time I have been able to get a shot of it.

Yeah, could be either. Hard call with the very small pics in my Sibley's. Your shot is actually much better. :wink:

Great job Rory, your right, when it goes right it goes right, dang those are sharp! First one is definitely a female Rose Breasted Grosbeak, fairly rare for your parts. Second one Im guessing is a sparrow, if I had to make a guess it would be a field sparrow? Beautifully done Rory!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom