ID This Bird?????

I was out looking for Mr. Short Eared Owl this morning and followed this guy through knee deep snow for 25 minutes until I was able to get a decent shot....I was pooped!

I think, but am not sure, that this might be a merlin? He was shot in Salisbury MA, directly adjacent to the ocean front. He was definitely hunting but I didn't see him capture anything.

This was a quick process job as I'm working today even though it's Saturday so that I can be ready for my trip to meet a bunch of you folks in Florida next week! (shhh...don't tell anyone I d this while working!)

Feeling any better Harris?

39685625.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jim,

It sure looks like the Merlin in the Sibley Guide to Birds right down to the "weak mustache". Not a lot of other choices as far as I can see.

Looking forward to seeing you with Harris on Thursday,
Bob & Nan

Thanks Bob

I haven't got a book here at the office and I'm not convinced I could find the sorry excuse for a guide that we have at home. I guess I got to get me one of those :)

Jim

See ya soon!

Jim,

We will have our copy with us on Thursday so you can check it out. It is the best reference we have found. Just a little too big for the backpack, but I understand there is a small version out now.

Bob

Jim,

Yes, we are in Pompano Beach for the winter and will drive up to meet with you early on Thursday. It is about 1.5 hours to Bear Point if the traffic is not too bad.

We plan to go on up to Satellite Beach on Thursday night and meet up with the others on Friday night. We may check out the wildlife at Sebastion Inlet on the way up.

Bob & Nan

IMAGE REPLACED

Since good ole pbase decided it din't want to show the first image anymore...I replaced it!

39685625.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice Jim. Isn't it nice to have a place where you can post your birdie shots and not hear 'too many @#!#%$#! bird shots!!'.... :lol:

Frank

It is nice Frank....

It would be nicer however if I had a polace to shoot that wasn't buried in snow!

By the way....I hooked up to a guys 600 Nikon yesterday whom I met in the field...I just might be in lust!

Latest threads

Top Bottom