1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

ID this birdie, please!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cajun angel, Jul 1, 2008.

1. I took this photo while on a Mother/Daughter retreat back in Oct. I thought it was a hawk, but I'm thinking osprey?! I know it's not a perfect photo, I only had my 18-200mm on the camera as I was concentrating on my "job" as photographer. Mariam pointed the bird out to me and I thought it was a swainsen's hawk. What do ya'll think?

2629184727_5a4819f2ba_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    That would be an Osprey

3. ARE YOU SERIOUS!?! I had only seen one of these birds and it was in VA, and was so far off, I really couldn't tell much about it! I just went back and looked at the few photos and this one is the best. Gee, I wish I could have done a better job, but definitely my lens wasn't long enough! WOW! This photo was taken only 2 hours drive from my house! I'm in shock, in awe, and embarrassment because I thought it was a hawk! DUH! Thanks for the quick ID!

4. Actually it looks like a Female Osprey!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  5. Thanks Gary! I'm in shock! According to my bird book, these birds don't usually come to TX unless I'm mis-reading! Dunno how good it would print out because my lens wasn't long enough, but man, I just can't believe I'm looking at one and that I got it AT ALL! WOW! :eek:  And to think I thought it was a hawk! DUH! :redface:

6. Dianne, Female Osprey as Gary pointed out.

7. yay - osprey! I love watching them around here :) 

8. Dianne,
    osprey being a unique bird, you have to unique up on it!
    Congrats,
    Kevin P.

9. Thanks Guys! I just posted it on a local birding forum and will see if they know where I can find them perhaps a little easier. I still can't believe that I actually got one - no matter how accidental!

10. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: okay, how do I "unique up on it?"

11. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    Ya say it is a female ,, is that because of the necklace of breast streaks?

12. The breast band is weaker (paler?) on the male so this is likely a female. My references tell me that the female has narrower wings to but that would be hard to see in an individual unless you had a shot like this of a pair in flight.

13. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Stand up real straight and wave a fish at it!

14. ROFL! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: That's about as funny as how to catch a fish - gotta hold your mouth just right! Thanks for the laugh!

15. Nicer osprey Dianne!
    Fred

16. Thanks Fred! I'm still in shock for I was thinking it was a hawk! Glad I took the 2nd look and posted it for ID!

17. That is correct! Some male's have them but not as renounced as the female.

18. pretty shot.. these are such awesome birds!

19. Thanks Raymond! I just wish I could have gotten it a bit better though! The only other osprey I've seen was up in VA and yep, it's a fascinating bird to watch for sure! With about 15 girls talking, laughing and making all kinds of noise, that birdie was on her way out of there! I'm not real sure, but I think I may have seen her mate heading off ahead of her. I barely got this photo! I hope there'll be a next time!

20. Gee our osprey pair was easy to ID the male vs female as the male was banded. They did not return this year so now I have to guess when I see them. Very cool Dianne.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.