Idaho Sunset

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Terri French, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I have only tried sunset shooting a couple of times. I have a lot to learn. We had a gorgeous sunset here tonight. I gave it a try. Here is the one I liked the best. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nice sunset.. You should get a 16x20 and frame it.

3. Terri you don't need any help you just need to do it more often. Beautiful image.

4. d70john

d70john Guest

great colour i wish mine turned out that good

5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you--question about the 16x20. I've never printed anything that large. Will the 6mp of the D70 be enough for a print that big? Where can you get a quality print of that size?

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I got some criticism on Dpreview about the negative space at the bottom. Do you find it objectionable. I've seen it before in sunset pictures and thought it looked ok. By the way, I should be able to get more sunset pics this time of year here. As things dry out with the hot summer, there gets to be some dust in the air which makes for great sunsets. Hope to experiment a lot.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Like I just told Gordon, I live in a high country desert. We get quite dry here in the hot summer. There gets to be dust in the air which makes for beautiful sunsets. That probably accounts for the strong color. Maybe you have too much humidity, which keeps down all the particles which reflect the sunlight. Also, there are some fires in the west right now. Often the smoke from fires (even if they are hundreds of miles away) gets enough stuff in the air to make beautiful sunsets, too.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sunsets and sunris are my favorite times of day and favorite to shoot.
    You have an excellent image.

9. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I have a done 20x30's with my D70.. (heck I have a couple 16x20 on my wall that I didi with a Kodak DX6340 which is a 3mp camera, and they look great)
    I get my large prints down here http://www.kodakgallery.com/Welcome.jsp

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you for the information, Dave. I have a couple of pictures from my Moab trip earlier this spring that I would like to get printed larger.

11. Fantastic image! Nice work. The negative space at the bottom...it doesn't bother me.

12. Ansel Adams would've gotten criticism over there. :? Don't let it bother you, it's a very nice shot. Thanks for sharing it.

Brian

13. good point Brian. Great shot Terri.

14. Hi Terri,

Most impressive colors!

I like this one, thanks for sharing.

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thank you Dave

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Glad you liked the colors. I appreciate your comments.

17. Looks like your doing just fine...

For something you don't do that often, you seem to be doing just fine. Don't worry about the DPR criticisms, I find that when they do comment, they usually nitpick. I happen to like some negative space at the bottom to anchor shots like this. Maybe it could be a little shallower, but that is totally a personal preference, no more valid than leaving it the size that it is. I think you've got a great shot here.

Dave

18. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Terri,

You have the Gift !

Thanks for posting

Regards

RFC

19. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Dave and Robert

Thank you to both of you for the encouragement.