Idaho

A cafe member asked me to post a thread about what Idaho is really like. He lives in LA, and Idaho is on his list of retirement places to consider. A lot of people are moving here from all over. I think that Idaho has been "discovered" which I am not sure is a good thing.

I live in southeast Idaho. Our town with the surrounding communities probably has a population of under 100,000. We have Sam's Club and are getting a Costco soon. You can buy most anything here. We even have a local camera store, but their selection is limited.

People who love mountains, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc. love it here. There are lots of recreational opportunities without multitudes of people, although it gets more crowded every year.

If you don't like cold and snow, it is probably not the place for you. Winters are very long. We don't get as cold as many areas in the country, and the humidity is usually low, but it is bad enough. (I don't like winter so it is hard for me. My husband loves the cold and snow, so he is in heaven.)

A lot of retirees around here head south for the winter. (I'm hoping that Greg and I can do that as well someday, although he would leave kicking and screaming as he loves to ski. Our summers and early fall are wonderful. Spring can arrive late and be very short.

I know that a lot of people from California move here because our housing prices are so much less expensive (although the demand has caused home prices to rise fairly dramatically lately).

There are other Idaho members on the cafe. I'm inviting them to chime in about their areas, as northern Idaho and southern Idaho are as different as can be. Our area is a high country desert, but we can be in mountains within an hour or so most any direction we drive. Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are about a 2 hour drive for us.

There are good people here. The political climate is mostly conservative. We have two hospitals here with lots of doctors.

There is a series on PBS called Outdoor Idaho that could tell you a great deal about the recreational opportunities in the state. Outdoor Idaho (Idaho Public Television)

The advantages.....
_8080147.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_7220183.jpg

The Big Disadvantage.....
_DSC9398.jpg

Real Name
Dan
Thanks for sharing, Terri. Idaho was high on our list of potential places to settle when we leave AK. Sounds like we may be a bit late to the party :(

I'm at the other end of the state from Terri, a bit less than 60 miles to the border with Canada. This area is known as the Panhandle, it's about 15 miles to the states of Washington & Montana, depending on if you're heading East or West. The town here (Sandpoint) is 8300 people, located on Lake Pend Oreille, a very deep and large lake. Sandpoint is surrounded by the Selkirk and Cabinet Mountains. Lots of Californians here. If you come up this way, let me know and I'll show you around. Sandpoint has changed a lot in the 20 years we've lived here; we gained a Walmart, Home Depot, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, 3 Starbucks and a couple of the local bars got major renovations, we lost a very nice gun store. Population in the 20 years has increased by almost 4000 people. It's a pretty good place for hunting and fishing, although I do neither anymore. Winters range from mild to horrible, I've seen my share of both. Days are generally dark and gray during the winter, daylight doesn't last long. The county is politically conservative, I don't know how to define the city politically - I don't pay much attention to it since we live just outside the city. There are some very good restaurants here, just got home from one. It's under 4 hours from here to Glacier Park, 5 1/2 hours to Seattle. One hospital, lots of doctors and dentists in town. Coeur d'Alene is about 45 miles South of here and has Costco, lots of services and many more people. Spokane is about 90 miles and has a couple of big malls, Apple store, homeless people, decent photo shop, airport and a lot of people. If you've got any questions, let me know.

I'm in between Terri and Rick (much closer to Rick) and have lived here for some 40+ years and have worked and played all over the state. I'll add my 2 cents and pictures when I get back home in a day or 2. Always room here for more photographers!

Real Name
Carl
A cafe member asked me to post a thread about what Idaho is really like. He lives in LA, and Idaho is on his list of retirement places to consider. A lot of people are moving here from all over. I think that Idaho has been "discovered" which I am not sure is a good thing.

I live in southeast Idaho. Our town with the surrounding communities probably has a population of under 100,000. We have Sam's Club and are getting a Costco soon. You can buy most anything here. We even have a local camera store, but their selection is limited.

People who love mountains, fishing, hunting, hiking, etc. love it here. There are lots of recreational opportunities without multitudes of people, although it gets more crowded every year.

If you don't like cold and snow, it is probably not the place for you. Winters are very long. We don't get as cold as many areas in the country, and the humidity is usually low, but it is bad enough. (I don't like winter so it is hard for me. My husband loves the cold and snow, so he is in heaven.)

A lot of retirees around here head south for the winter. (I'm hoping that Greg and I can do that as well someday, although he would leave kicking and screaming as he loves to ski. Our summers and early fall are wonderful. Spring can arrive late and be very short.

I know that a lot of people from California move here because our housing prices are so much less expensive (although the demand has caused home prices to rise fairly dramatically lately).

There are other Idaho members on the cafe. I'm inviting them to chime in about their areas, as northern Idaho and southern Idaho are as different as can be. Our area is a high country desert, but we can be in mountains within an hour or so most any direction we drive. Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks are about a 2 hour drive for us.

There are good people here. The political climate is mostly conservative. We have two hospitals here with lots of doctors.

There is a series on PBS called Outdoor Idaho that could tell you a great deal about the recreational opportunities in the state. Outdoor Idaho (Idaho Public Television)

The advantages.....
View attachment 1641060 View attachment 1641061

View attachment 1641062

The advantages.....

View attachment 1641062
I love Idaho, my good lady wife, who was raised there, not so much! So, what's a guy to do? Life is good, though, because we can visit, going through to Yellowstone.

I missed this when it was posted as I was still in recovery mode from a major health event. I did wonder about the camera shown in the Exif data.

Terri, you did a good job of describing and illustrating aspects of your location. Sorry I missed it originally. The first two photos are wonderful.

Would you say different things now, two years later?

Idaho is a beautiful state. If it wasn’t for my love of Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean, Idaho and Montana would be near the top of my list should I ever move.

I traveled to Idaho and all its’ significant cities for Business more times than I can count. When I was at WSU the drinking age in Moscow was 19. A very dangerous 9 mile stretch of road after 2:00 AM. My sister has a cabin/house in Riggins and I’m looking forward to a mid-July family get together. Hopefully the Salmon River will be running high and fast that time of year. A couple pictures of the family a few years ago.

I think the secret is out. Coeur d'Alene housing prices have grown more than any city in the US according to one report I recently read.

Attachments

• _GRH6116_72pi.jpg
    _GRH6116_72pi.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 11
  • _GRH6122_1_72pi.jpg
    _GRH6122_1_72pi.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 10
I missed this when it was posted as I was still in recovery mode from a major health event. I did wonder about the camera shown in the Exif data.

Terri, you did a good job of describing and illustrating aspects of your location. Sorry I missed it originally. The first two photos are wonderful.

Would you say different things now, two years later?
I took the first two when I was still shooting with my EM5 for my small camera. I sold my Olympus gear when I bought my Z6. Idaho is still growing. Percentage wise we had the second highest growth rate in the nation last year. Housing prices have skyrocketed. It’s still a great place to live! I think we have weathered COVID fairly well. Our schools were closed at the end of the 2019-20 school year, but have remained open in 2020-21 with restrictions in activities. Most of the businesses were able to stay open.

Idaho is a beautiful state. If it wasn’t for my love of Puget Sound and the Pacific Ocean, Idaho and Montana would be near the top of my list should I ever move.

I traveled to Idaho and all its’ significant cities for Business more times than I can count. When I was at WSU the drinking age in Moscow was 19. A very dangerous 9 mile stretch of road after 2:00 AM. My sister has a cabin/house in Riggins and I’m looking forward to a mid-July family get together. Hopefully the Salmon River will be running high and fast that time of year. A couple pictures of the family a few years ago.

I think the secret is out. Coeur d'Alene housing prices have grown more than any city in the US according to one report I recently read.
We love your area too! The secret is out. Southeast Idaho is growing like crazy, too!

Real Name
Bill Walderman

The advantages.....

View attachment 1641062
Thank you for the discussion and the images accompanying it, Terri. I would like to visit that part of the country some day.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom