1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ideal wide lens for indoor shooting

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Edrod13, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Just recently I have started the process of putting my condo on the market. My realtor who I have known for years and actually helped my buy this condo came over a few days ago to take pics. She came in with an older sony PS, the ones that use the floppy disks. She was having some problems getting the pics she wanted so I told her that I had a D50 and would volunteer to take pics :biggrin: . She agreed and so I took out the camera which had my Tamron 18-200. While not the best for indoor it does very well with the SB800.
    To make a long story short, I adjusted levels and sharpened, she loved the pics and asked my if I would be interested in taking pics of her properties that she is selling. It would only be for an hour or two at max whenever she needed and I would be informed at least a couple of days in advanced.
    I noticed that most of my shots were at 18mm because we needed wide shots. I would like to know if someone takes real estate pics and whats their lens of choice. I would assume something a little wider than 18mm so you can get entire rooms at a time. I would like to purchase something in the near future assuming it doesn't break the bank. Maybe I could just take whatever money I get from the jobs and put it aside until I have enough to purchase the lens I need. Just in case some of you are wondering, she said it would be $50/hr which I thought was reasonable considering my experience.

    I just noticed that I put this in the cam/gear forum. If the mods think it belongs somewhere else, it can be moved. Sorry for the dumb mistake.
  2. I have used for indoors the 12-24mm and the 10.5mm. The only problem with the 10.5mm is the fisheye effect so you may have to do corrections with Nikon Capture NX. Most of the times I use the 12-24mm (Nikon or Tokina) and if the area to be photographed is wide I may use the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8.
  3. gaopa


    Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    For indoor shots like the ones you describe, I use my Tokina 12-24/4 shot on the 12mm end (giving me 18mm film camera equiv. on my D200) and ISO 800 in a well lit room with both interior and sunlight from windows. If necessary I use my SB-800, but I try to avoid using flash. If using flash, I use ISO 400 for these shots. I use a custom white balance for non flash shots. When I get the images on my computer I use PTLens (which I think is great software for correcting the barrel distortion). Happy Shooting! Bill P.
  4. I'm a realtor and have shot a few interior pics :wink:. I like the Tokina 12-24 best. Here's a folder with some shots of a condo to show what it can do. The problem with small condos is the vertical walls everywhere....
  5. Julien


    Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Eddie I'd suggest like Sandie said a 12-24 ( I've never used one but seeing here shots it seems to suite your needs pretty well ) or a Sigma 10-20 ( that I have ). Going from 12 to 10 will make a huge difference and that particular lens isn't all that expensive. And with all those great shots you'll be taking ( with either the 12-24 or the 10-20 ) , you'll have made enough to get your money back :biggrin:
  6. Thank you all for your contributions. It looks like I will have to stash any money that I make from taking real estate pics until I can make the $500 investment on the 12-24. I really appreciate it. If anyone has more real estate pics, that would be great for me to get some ideas. Thanks again.
  7. Nuteshack

    Nuteshack Guest

    from the tokina @12 with sb800 and abetterbouncecard ....
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

    hard to beat for what u r guna do ...good luck
  8. Billy Ng

    Billy Ng

    Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    If I may ... I would recommend you continue to use your 18-200 and break the bank on flashes (yes, plural). With a couple of flashes and a transmitter, you can create some incredible lighting that would make for AWESOME photos, many interested home shoppers, more demand for your work, and ultimately more money.

    The lighting is everything. Take a look at a Pottery Barn catalog or a Better Homes and Gardens shoot. The difference between the their photos and yours are the number of lights they use. Is a trio of flash guns as good as a full light rig, no ... but it will get the job done if you can't afford the full rig.

  9. JackMan

    JackMan Guest

    Indoor Lense

    Taken with a Tamron 11-18 mm lens (Nikon D50)

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.