Ideas on how this was done?

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by David Fink, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Hi David,
    I saw those shots earlier this morning. My first thought was that he selectively over sharpened them. They certainly have an interesting look to them. In looking at them again, especially the first one, it seems to me that he must have done some additional pp on them. The facial plane is so sharp and contrasty in comparison with the rest of the shot, which seems overly soft and fading. They definitely have a unique look to them.

2. I think they call it "draganize"

have a look over here :

http://andrzejdragan.com/

Give a search at depreview at the retouche forum with dragan. You will find lots of samples

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Alex! That was fun ... and a little disturbing. :wink:

4. Hi Alex,

Thanks, you are clearly right....it is the draganize technique. But how is it done?? There are dozens of threads on dpreview, as you say, but all seem to show examples of draganized portraits, and I can't seem to find a thread that actually explains the technique.

Can you point me to some instruction?

David

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2005
  6. Wow, Paul! Thank you very much. So much to read and digest there. It will take me some time. All of this information is very very helpful.

Thank you very much again.

Best wishes,

David

7. Hi paul,

thanks fot the help.
    I knew what it was, but didn't know how.

When i read it, i definately need some more skills on PS

alex

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

9. Here's the file Paul was referring to. I'll leave it up for 24 hours before taking it back down (it had something to do with permission to use the lady's image in the file).

Dragan PSD

_/oe

10. Uh oh, so much for getting to bed at a reasonable hour...

Thanks for the very interesting stuff to fuss over. I noticed those portraits too. Beautiful stuff.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. Here is a couple of minutes using the automated stuff and very rough painting. I think this portrait could go somewhere. Need to get a tablet!

Thanks for inspiring me tonight. Been working too hard and needed a brain refreshment. :cool:

[​IMG]

That is my wife and her cat Duncan, by the way. Been taking portaits of them as he is very ill. I want her to have something to remember him by.

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's great Beezle! A very emotional portrait. Not the usual cat shot!

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

15. There was a time (early 90s or so) when I used a tablet as my mouse. A habit I picked up from an executive at Disney when I did a software project for them.

That's all the photo work from me tonight. Back to work. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliments. I actually intend to try that again as those were all accidentally shot at ISO 800. They look okay printed at 8x10, but I can do better.

My lack of drawing talent aside, I hope I can learn to do this stuff, and find my own "beezelian" look. I have been a technologist too long.

16. Well, except for this one. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

18. This is turning into a quite inspirational thread. Glad I started it! :tongue:

Thanks very much Joe for posting the file.

Ed, gosh.....the technique seems to agree with you. Great work.

Best wishes,

David