1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Idioms... Sometimes we take things for granted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Candidcameraman, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Idioms... Sometimes we take things for granted and use those expressions or names thinking anyone knows this and what it is...

-You want French Toast for breakfast?
    -Huh what is French Toast?
    -But you are from France and you don't know what they are...

DOH! moment :rolleyes: 

-In France we call that "Pain Perdu" (lost bread)
    -Why do they call it Lost Bread?
    -I guess they couldn't find it.

Sarcasm for breakfast is quite funny...

-Anywho - that's what you get for $5.95 at Les Trois Brasseurs in Montreal
    -You did not use even $2 of ingredients for this...

2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Ok, this caught my eye because my 10 yr old daughter had to come up with 26 idioms for class today! I'll add a few easy ones to start the list:

Take it with a grain of salt...
    Raining cats and dogs...
    you have a chip on your shoulder...
    Doing something at the drop of a hat...
    Cost ya and arm and a leg...

3. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Many such sayings have a foot in history. For example:

"The much more probable source of 'raining cats and dogs' is the prosaic fact that, in the filthy streets of 17th/18th century England, heavy rain would occasionally carry along dead animals and other debris. The animals didn't fall from the sky, but the sight of dead cats and dogs floating by in storms could well have caused the coining of this colourful phrase."

Mind you, you guys call them English Muffins. What is an English Muffin? Do you mean a muffin? :biggrin:

4. maybe they mean scones?

5. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Ah - do you mean scones (i.e. s-cons) or scones (i.e s-cones)? :biggrin:

6. I mean scones, (s-cons) ;)  depends where in the UK! :D 

7. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
  8. Martin is right, the origin of such sayings are in the past, Dad explained that the "short end of the stick" and "for the birds" were, at one time, vulgar sayings.

But French or otherwise, French toast done right is awesome, and it requires a little liquor.:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.