IDMkIII Focus Issues?

Interesting thread. I guess Cannon is not immune to new model growing pains. Hopefully they will get it sorted out quickly. It pays to let the early adaptors find all the bugs before buying in.

Jim - what did Nikon do to 'fix' this issue with the D2Xs?

Reminiscent of all the bloody posts about D200 banding.... Mine never had the problem, but all it takes is one or two and the whole world starts screaming.

BTW...it is a 1DMKIII....no "s" (yet) :)

Hm....so this suggests that maybe the new Canon Mark III isn't the holy grail after all? Thing is, all of these delicate electronic instruments are going to be prone to issues, regardless of brand name or price or long list of features..... Each individual has to just make his/her choice as to what seems to work the best for him or her and live with whatever particular quirks the chosen instrument has....

Same old same old. new stuff, new issues.....But wow the Canon guys are taking it hard! My 1DMKIIN doubled in price in the last 24 hours! :) Not to bash, but the Nikon folks took the D200 banding issue with a much higher level of confidence and resolution.

I will buy one in October....low light ISO & that 3" LCD are high on my list....but I'll let the initial issue flush through first. :) I paid my dues on the D200.

Well, I have been following every post on the Mk3 that I can find, trying to determine if it is as good as it seems to be based on the white paper hype. I certainly don't have the final definitive answer, but based on the few real world images that I have seen, I'm pretty impressed.

These are images posted over on DPR by Nick Railton, very soon after he got his Mk3. As much as I have tried (and believe me, I've put a HUGE amount of effort trying to get images this good with 2 D2H's, a D2X, a D200, and a D2Hs). So far, I can't come close. BTW, I got Nick's permission to post these images (he is a NikonCafe member -- NickR). To see more of his Mk3 shots, check out this link. I promised him that I would notify him when I posted copies of his images.

These were using the 300 2.8, I believe some with the 1.4, 2.0, and even the 1.4 + 2.0 TC's (if Nick responds, he can give the details).

162338567-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

162338406-O.jpg

162338332-O.jpg

This is the one image that caught my attention: :smile:
162338610-O.jpg

Do these show that the Mk3 is the best cam ever? Well no. IMO though they do show the potential of this tool to capture the best images that can be obtained. Will the D3? be as good or better? No way to say right now. :rolleyes:

With the exception of one guy from Florida, everyone on this particular forum (primarily bird shooters) is having issues with tracking and acquisition.
Maybe this just means that shooting BIF is difficult no matter what camera you shoot, and folks who rushed out to buy a Mk3 thinking it would magically increase their keeper rate by an order of magnitude were deluding themselves. :smile:

But seriously, I think with any new tool there's going to be a learning curve and some time needed to get familiar with it. I wouldn't read too much into annecdotal reports this early.

In terms of focus tracking, the only one that impresses me is the last one. The first one seems soft, the next two look like static subjects (and therefore not prone to the issues in the above linked thread). #4 is impressive. :smile:

In terms of focus tracking, the only one that impresses me is the last one. The first one seems soft, the next two look like static subjects (and therefore not prone to the issues in the above linked thread). #4 is impressive. :smile:
I completely agree Gretchen. I just wanted to show some real world shots, captured by this new tool. We can discuss theory forever, but real images tell the tale for me. :smile:

I couldn't have put it better Randy. :wink:

Sure wish that I had an extra $12K laying around. :frown: :biggrin:

That's a double-wow on those shots. I'm not a birder, but I've had no focus issues with my Mark III in the week or so since I got it. Shot some HS baseball and tracking and acquisition was superb.

$12K? Hmmm, I used to have that before I blew it on "C" stuff :eek:

I completely agree Gretchen. I just wanted to show some real world shots, captured by this new tool. We can discuss theory forever, but real images tell the tale for me. :smile:

Hi Frank, Glad to see you have used some of my images,:smile:the Crow BIF image was number 186 out of the M3 so you are correct was taken very early after receiving the M3. This was also taken from my kitchen through a 10" gap so was a little difficult tracking the bird.

The Dove image was taken moving from left to right laterally, not much movement forward and backwards, I haven't tried any BIF shots where the focus changes excessively, I have only changed one custom AF setting in camera which was C.Fn III -8 set to 2 (enable surrounding AF Assist Points around the selected AF point). I will try and do some testing this weekend to see how the AF performs with birds coming towards me, only pigeon, dove or crow images I am afraid:mad:

I went to a Kart meeting recently my 1st Motorsport shoot with the M3, the AF performed brilliantly tracking fast moving Karts moving towards me and laterally didn't get one out of focus image. My main photog interest is Motorcycle Racing, BIF shots are secondary really so if there is an issue with the AF and BIF its no big deal for me, the most important thing is that the M3 performs for Motorcycle Racing.

I'm no BIF expert but if you have any questions please ask.

I missed nikoncafe and Nikon so its good to contribute to this thread.:biggrin:

Cheers

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
I don't believe a company such as Canon, or Nikon, would market a $4500 camera that has major fault in focus tracking. This is a complex camera with a lot of setting options that it takes time and effort to learn the right setting for a particular condition. You just can't expect you can get perfect focus with every BIF when you try it right out of the box. There is no magic.

I've seen a few images that are impressive, and many images that are average. It's always difficult to assess a web image as there usually has been post processing that might be destructive to the image. The ones on this thread are okay, but definitely not any better than my D2x or D200 can do. For me, the selling point would be if it can obtain good images at a higher success rate than current technology. I do credit Canon with being on the right track and innovative. And I continue to wish it offered more than ten megapixels. Ron Gailbraith's preproduction model had serious AF problems.

Phil K said:
I don't believe a company such as Canon, or Nikon, would market a $4500 camera that has major fault in focus tracking.

Of course they would..

Let's look at the recent history - Leica released M8 which has all sorts of problems, Canon released terminally flawed 50mm F/1.2 lens.. and how about Nikon with the D2H and D70 which were failing.. or what was it, my memory is betraying me. And that's just off top of my head.

Companies release unfinished products onto the market all the time. We've all gotten so used to it, it's perfectly normal now.. Besides, didnt Rob Galbraith text about 1D Mark III mention the camera cant focus worth of damn? I guess no one listened..

These are OK But

A) They're not any better than I can do with my Nikon gear.

B) The issues I've read about and corresponded with one person about are shooting birds IN FLIGHT in something other than a powder blue sky...and not at super close range.

C) Lastly....suggestions are that the problem isn't seen with lenses faster than f4.

My Xs does a whole lot better with a 300 2.8 than it does with a 500 f4.

Any type of background seems to be eliciting the Nikon effect in Canon gear...the camera simply locks the background much of the time.

One of the folks I've been corresponding with said they absolutely could not get the camera to acquire / lock Sand Hill Cranes and Roseate Spoonbills at Vierra, even when they were filling more than 1/2 the frame.

Even I can accomplish that with my outdated Nikon stuff :)

My guess is that it's the same thing we always see with new Nikon Gear.....maybe the algorithms need a tweek......maybe it's simply because the modes aren't fully understood yet by even long time Canon shooters.....maybe Canon hired the folks that did the Nikon Algorithms....?

Don't get sucked into marketing hype....if you look at some of the stuff posted on the web from long time Canon shooters...including Canon staff with this camera relative to birds.....a lot of it sucks at the moment.

Believe me....I'd have one as soon as I could get my hands on it if I wasn't hearing this stuff. I guess I need to wait till the initial fervor dies down and see what reality turns out to be.

I think that Canon and Nikon should wake up and realize how many wildlife / birs shooters there are in the world today.....I bet you the number of folks using these machines for that purpose are pretty high as a percentage.

I guess I need to wait till the initial fervor dies down and see what reality turns out to be..

I think that is some wise advice for almost anything brand new... especially something as complicated as these high end cameras....there is a lot going on in a little tiny box.

An old pilot friend who owned a Piper dealership NEVER bought any of the first 100 aircraft of a new model for similar reason and potentially more devastating results....

BTW...Add the D200 & its banding on the "released before complete" list...I think both Canon and Nikon have an impressive list of "oooops" :)

I think that Canon and Nikon should wake up and realize how many wildlife / birs shooters there are in the world today.....I bet you the number of folks using these machines for that purpose are pretty high as a percentage.

While I think this class of shooters is large, I think the sports shooters make up the majority of the market and thus, the camera makers will continue to optimize their product for that market.
As for the AF issues, I think Nikon and Canon both use the same basic technology, ie, contrast phase detection, for aquiring AF. This being the case, they will both have the same issues/failings, albeit to a greater or lesser degree depending on what choices they make in software and supporting hardware. I remember reading something Thom Hogan wrote a while back about the workings of AF in DSLRs, which in summary, said that AF will always lock on a brighter object than a darker one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom