If it is Sunday it must be.....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Oct 30, 2005.

1. time for my little feathered friends.
    OK I am hesitant to post these after the run of Viera and other magnificent shots I have seen posted here.
    Let me tell you though it doesn't get much better than standing on the front deck with a hot cup of coffee smelling bacon and eggs cooking in the kitchen. A cool fall morning with bright sunshine...well you get a perfect morning for me. Here are a few examples, all taken with the D2X and the 200-400VR with 1.4 tele and SB800 for fill flash.
    Cardinal in Holly tree
    [​IMG]
    Not sure but will use one of these as my christmas card
    [​IMG]
    Nuthatch
    [​IMG]
    Male House Finch
    [​IMG]
    Male Downy Woodpecker
    [​IMG]
    Male Cardinal
    [​IMG]
    Then all of a sudden every bird just took off thought the hawk from last week was back then out of the shadows out popped this cat, not sure where he came from but was looking for a easy meal.
    [​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Mike,

I have the same concerns about posting my shots from today Mike. There are some seriously good shots on the forum today. In your case though, I don't think you have to worry. All excellent as usual. :smile:

3. nice series as always. I think these are trained pets. How do you get them to smile like that...:wink:

4. Mike
    I actually tried this today as well based on your previous post on this. I failed miserably and deleated all shots. I do not have a feeder set up so it is difficult to get a bird in a predictible postion to shoot in range of the flash. I will have to work on this more as your shots inspire me so.
    Dave

5. Hey Mike!

I can almost smell that beacon and eggs from Long Island!

Sweet shots especially #4, hope the beacon and eggs was as good! :wink:

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding Mike. Nobody catches those little guys better than you.

7. Beautiful work, Mike. My favorite is this one.

Virginia

[​IMG]

8. Mike I am always in awe when I look at your pictures. These are no exception. Terrific as always. Great series and I am so glad you posted.

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Man the Cafe sure got some seriously excellent shooters !!!
    and these fit right in ............ extra sharp, great work

10. Mike,

Let me know which one you're going to use for your Christmas card so I can ask you for the other one for mine! :rolleyes:

You really make these birds look special.

11. all great shots, i wish i could get those kind of shots but the feeders are too far from the patio and those birds are very nervous specially the cardinals.

12. A fine series again Mike. I'm with Virginia as that is my fovorite as well.

13. Great series Mike, outstanding shots.

Louie

14. Must be nice to just sit on the porch and have all the birdies come to you! We have to WORK for our shots :wink:

Very nicely done and always appreciate your fine presentation!

15. Frank
    I saw your series they were fantastic I think it is good we keep pushing each other. Thanks for the kind words, I owe it all to the models

16. Shhh I told you not to let my secret out of the bag

17. Dave Be persistent, this is a good time of the year to set up a few feeders of different type to attract the wintering birds. It might take a few weeks for them to come but they will . Also provide some cut off branches placed so they can perch and you can get some natural looking shots. Then watch the birds and study their habits..ex what time of day they come what they like to eat. Watch the weather they feed heavily before a storm and there are some great shots to get in the winter and during some snow storms. Stick with it the results will amaze you

18. Thanks the breakfast is always good not matter weather the birdies cooperate or not. Thanks for looking George

19. Hey what is the saying if you are served lemons make lemonade! These are the only easily accessible targets I have so I take advantage of them. Good practice for the big birds

20. Thanks you so much Virginia I appreciate you looking and commenting