If My D100 Could Talk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baywing, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    This may sound like one of Jarrell's Bubba stories, but it is the truth. I sent my D100 to Nikon Melville 10 days ago to have a few hot pixels mapped out. The estimate came in the mail last Friday, $320. I called instantly, questioned as to how a few minutes hooked up to a computer could justify that price, added what I have read from other countries..... many done for free, others for $40. To no avail....so I refused the repair.
    Today, my D100 was sitting on the front stoop waiting for me to get home. Poor little thing, I thought, cold and tired from a trip to Long Island. I brought the box in and let it warm up before I opened it. When I did open the box, I found my D100 packed very much like stuff from B&H a while back that many complained about, camera sitting on the bottom of the box, peanuts poured over top. A quick check, no damage....wait! What is that? What is that smell? OK, young fella, where have you really been? Has this entire thing been a dream? It is clear that my D100 has not been engaged in any business related activity, well maybe monkey business or maybe the world's oldest profession, nudge, nudge, wink :wink: , wink :wink: . A house with a red porch light keeps coming to mind.
    I don't know where it was, but I hope it had a good time......wonder how long it takes for the smell of that fancy toilet water stuff to fade?????? Sheesh, I have it on my hands now, and it won't wash off....
    Anybody have an experience like this? :wink:

2. Fortunately for me my D100 had 29 days of my warranty left and so the $960 estimate ended up being $0. I didn't sniff it out when I got it back so couldn't help you there.

3. There is a software package available which maps the pixels out on the D100. There was a thread a few weeks back about it. The date of the download was 2/22/05.

Here'e the link how to use it.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=12368900

Rich

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    You better let your wife sniff it right now. Don't wait. You don't want her sniffing it in a week and then questioning where you have been. It's one thing for your D100 to be out and about in hoty toty circumstances but there is no need for it to get you in trouble. On the other hand, maybe the story you are telling us is a practice session for what you plan to tell your wife tonight. If so, shame on involving a poor innocent D100.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Rich, have the software, used it, all is well, thanks.

Larry, No worries, mate, no wife! No one to get jealous at all, except for me, thinking my camera has had more female attention lately than I have!!!! :?

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Well din, maybe your D100 can fix ya up!! :wink: Did you ever figure out where the scent came from? Might have to check out the lady that wrapped your package.

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Larry, I knew all along that it likely was the person who packed it, the plastic had the same smell. Just trying to have a little fun, like Jarrell used to do over at DPReview on the Coolpix forum. Some of those tales were wild indeed, I miss his sense of humor.

8. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I know you are having fun and I'm trying to feed you lines to play off. Checking the packing lady means maybe she trying to send you a message. Like the scented love letters. I take it that the D100 or peanuts have no lipstick smudges. On the other-hand, that might be kinky nowadays.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I know, I'm playing, too! But, one thing we (I) have to be careful of, I've assumed the packer is female....... :oops:

10. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Oooops! That could be problematic. On the upside, I don't think that Inter-postal dating will replace Internet dating. Even if she (hopefully) included a photo with her inspection sticker number it could be a someone else. If you send your D100 back for any reason are you going to include a note about the wonderful scent? A small gift? Photo of yourself?