If the D90 can do video the D300 should also be capable of it too,

Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
And the sweetest thing could be if noise performance was equal between the D3, D700, D300, and D90. That's what they should have worked on because I guarantee that matters more to photographers than video capability.

Statements like that make it look like you don't understand noise and image quality. For you to expect equal noise/image quality between a full frame sensor and a DX sensor at the same MP count is ridiculous. The photosites on the D3 and D700 sensor are a lot larger than those on the D300 and D90, so they're naturally going to be more sensitive and have less noise. If they could somehow improve the D90 and D300 image quality up to that of the D3 and D700, don't you think they would apply that same improvement to the D3 and D700, making them that much better than the D300 and D90 again? Then we'd be back at square one with you wanting the D90 and D300 improved again.

Don't know why the word "change" is tossed around here very loosely... should be more like "evolve"

In the mean time we'll all wait for the word "revolve"

Statements like that make it look like you don't understand noise and image quality. For you to expect equal noise/image quality between a full frame sensor and a DX sensor at the same MP count is ridiculous. The photosites on the D3 and D700 sensor are a lot larger than those on the D300 and D90, so they're naturally going to be more sensitive and have less noise. If they could somehow improve the D90 and D300 image quality up to that of the D3 and D700, don't you think they would apply that same improvement to the D3 and D700, making them that much better than the D300 and D90 again? Then we'd be back at square one with you wanting the D90 and D300 improved again.

I don't care about all of that. I'm the consumer, not a Nikon camera engineer. All I want is performance where I need it and I expect Nikon to do just that. :smile:

That's the thing though... the D90 is a bridging camera. It still has a wide consumer base and also a wide base of prosumers who can't justify the D300 price point. Nikon is first and foremost a business, and while it would be nice to please everyone it's just not going to happen, and they must keep a bottom line. I feel that if they improved anymore on the D90, they'll start to cut into the D300 sales which are pretty much solely prosumer buyers and don't have any other base to make up with except Pros looking for a smaller backup body, which consequently seems to be going over to the D700.

The D90 is still a very advanced camera, the photographic features added are amazing and the camera itself still pleases a majority of prosumers who have bought one (based on opinions here). It's also pretty unfair to compare it's performance to the D300 which is in a different category of cameras; instead compare it to the camera it replaces.

So now they've satisfied most of the prosumers with upgrades over the D80, so they need something to hype up their consumer base who care nothing about ISO or what it even stands for and does; so they add video. Now both of there consumer base is satisified.

The opening shot of the motionpicture "the player" was 7 minutes and 47 seconds, took 15 tries to get it right. So 5 minutes shots aren't to bad.
I'm not a movie guy myself but did capture some short films on my phone of our pet rats who are no longer here, and it's still nice to look at that, even though I have lot's of pictures of them.

The wedding photographer who can incorporate in-camera video into his/her business will get a leg up on the competition. The videographer has to be worried about the better quality of video the photographer can produce with interchangeable lenses.

B

Bill N

I've been wondering about/thinking about for a few years when "the shutter rate" of a digital camera (DSLR?) would get to the rate of a "movie" camera. Not the best of terms but the best I can describe it. Looks like the D90 has met what was in my head some what. Now I'm thinking, when will each frame be of the quality that our still images, what we get out of our DSLR's now, would be? I don't think it will be too far down the line. It seems that still photography and motion photography will be closer than ever as time goes on. Just the technology in imagining progressing or evolving.

Seems like it was just yesterday that the question of the day was "will digital ever replace film"? There were strong words spoken on that subject.:eek:

It will be interesting to be part of the evolving world of imaging. Myself, I would have loved to have had video in my DSLR on many occasions in the past. Traveling to far away places and to be able to capture a bit of video to share when I came home, "Priceless".

To the first time poster that states he doesn't want Nikon to produce a video capable camera even if that is what the consumer wants, I'm glad your not "King of the world"!:biggrin:

Be amazed and thankful at what we have coming our way. We won't be here all that long, life is short, enjoy it all!!

This is JMHO ... just my point of view - on Video.

As much as I am into photography, I love video too. I have a 3CCD DV camcorder which I use to shoot my children and record memories. This is a $1000 video camera, and I hate to say it - after looking at D90 videos, my video cam looks like it is no match !

Ofcourse, lack of AF while recording video is a problem for any real use especially shooting kids. But I must admit that the video quality from the D90 is stunning ! It really looks movie like when a fast lens is used at wide apertures. Certainly has me interested. I might just replace my D70 <which I use as point/shoot> with a D90.

I see the following advantages:

1. I am not asking for video, but if they provide it, great !
2. 720p video should look awesome
3. Lack of AF is a problem, but for certain events where you are on a tripod and just recording your kids' recital or something - will yield a very high quality video compared to a regular video camera
4. using wide apertures on a fast lens should yeild a very movie-like video
5. use of ALL nikon glass from fishye to super telephoto !! yummy

Again, just my thoughts. YMMV

Thanks,

not only is the video quality outrageously awesome, but that guy is an excellent filmaker too

that video was great

Especially awesome considering the guy had absolutely zero time to plan this thing. He got to borrow the camera for the weekend, unplanned, and had to come up with the idea and put it together in just a couple days. Very awesome. Unfortunately, the D90 didn't pull off the video as well as the 5D did. The rolling shutter really limits its usefulness IMHO.

Eh I wouldn't say the D90 video cannot look as good as that. I don't think anyone has really put some amazing quality glass in front of it and took the time to make a worth while video with a tripod, etc. There's one video on here of the STi that is close in quality and it was done by amateurs. The professional clips Nikon had on their website was pretty impressive and the resolution on those were nuked for web.

I'm curious about the effects of this.

Will these cameras be banned from sporting events, unless they pay for HD Recording License?

Will this increase pro photographer fees? or will manufacturers leave it out of the pro bodies?

I can see an advantage in weddings, where you could set it up, focus and film parts of a ceremony at a wedding while you photograph.

Eh I wouldn't say the D90 video cannot look as good as that. I don't think anyone has really put some amazing quality glass in front of it and took the time to make a worth while video with a tripod, etc. There's one video on here of the STi that is close in quality and it was done by amateurs. The professional clips Nikon had on their website was pretty impressive and the resolution on those were nuked for web.

This is why the D90 isn't as good. The rolling shutter causes image wobble when the camera is panned. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KcycneFY9lw&NR=1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXCRcmOK1A&feature=related

Aww poor Canon. As long as you don't pan at crazy speeds in either camera it's not really an issue. And as I said it can make for some interesting effects, specifically the video of the STi when it drives past the camera in the tunnel. When Barry panned the camera it added the "shake" but really gave a sense of speed.

Side note, that video just gave me a headache.

Latest threads

Top Bottom