If you carry a big camera... (portrait related)

Evantually, someone is gonna ask you to use it.

I was at the zoo shooting on day one of my membership. A young lady pulled up in a golf cart to let me know the zoo was beginning to close. I made small talk with her, she was nice. I then ran into her again before leaving, she stopped and we chatted. She sheepishly mentioned, wondered if by chance I would consider photographing her and her fiance' sometime, she wants some sort of nature related poses. I was caught a little off guard, but said sure, I'd like to try to help you out. But I must warn you, my people skills have not truly been developed, it would be a bit of a learning experience for me, a trial and error thing, it may or it may not work out great. But I said, I'd price any results accordingly with my skill level, and the end result. (She'd know the most I would charge for a really good shoot, and if it turned out bad, real bad, then she'd owe me nothing, and I would use it as a learning experience.

She confessed, she started to ask me the first time she ran into me, but didn't want to offend me, a big nature photographer :tongue: with talk of shooting bodies of the human form instead of bodies of water.

So, I pointed her to some of my nature work, and gave her an email so she can contact me. She told me the other day, she looked at about all my images I pointed her too, and liked them all. So, she still wants to set something up with me.

Now to my point. (you thought I'd never get here!)

I'm looking for ideas you have for outdoor shooting with people. Any tips you can give me, do's and don'ts. I do not have umbrellas/soft boxes, and such. I do have 1 big disc with several sides (white, silver, gold, etc...) I have the R1C1 setup so two small flashes and controller, and an SB-800 flash. So, 3 flashes total. I do have enough tri-pods I think for each light if needed.

Looking for ideas on:

1. places to shoot in nature or manmade structures surrounded by nature. like gazibos or such?
2. Lens choice from my 15 for various shots. Head shots, full body shots, shots of HER, shots of HIM, etc... a Nice pre-wedding portfolio of shots.
3. lighting suggestions from time of day, flash, no flash, etc...

I have an 85 1.4, 105 2.0 DC, 105 VR, 200 VR, 28-70, 17-55, 70-200VR.

Ideas? The shoot may be a few weeks off, but I want to start thinking about it, planning.

There is also another lady that wanted me to shoot her kids, and maybe her doing yoga poses. :cool: Frankly, I've been so petrified, I haven't went back to talk to her, lol.

Moderators, not sure I put this in right spot, if I didn't feel free to move it, if I did, ok!

Thanks.
Doug

I'm no expert, but I love shooting people. For people portraiture I typically use a combination of the 85 1.4, 70-200 vr and the 28-70. If you can't get the job done with those 3, you can't get it done. Bring your SB-800 and you're golden.

I honestly think that the 28-70 would be the best choice if you were only bringing on lens. I love the 85 for individual shots, but two people will make you use your "foot zoom" a little more. Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Real Name
David
Easy part, lenses: 17-55, 28-70, and 70-200. Why? If she works at the ZOO she may have access to interesting areas and you never know what range you need.

Is you big disc the kind that is a transparent disc with a cover? If it is big enough they make a great difuser, if not get nylon shower curtain to put beside or on stands over them. Turn sun in to a big softbox. Trees can also good and bad a difusing the light, but patches on faces are really bad for post processing.

As for nature shots, if you're not shooting against a stucture or rock fomation, try to keep the ground low. I.E. don't shoot down on them. A little drop off behind them would be nice. That way if there are,say trees behind them, you are shooting into the leaves (if there are any yet) and the sun will turn the leaves into a multi colored background. This is really cool in New England with the colors we get. But make sure nothing is sticking out of their heads. In the fall I work for a school portrait company that uses this shoot into the trees for student and class pictures.

hope this makes sense, if I think of anything else I'll add it. Any questions let me know.

I shoot people a lot and 99% of them are shot with the 28-70 and 85 f/1.4. I am starting to lust after the 105 DC so take that along also. Scout the likely locations beforehand if you can, and buy one of the numerous books on posing that are in your local Borders or Barnes & Noble. Leaf though a few magazines for additional ideas.

Take an assistant to the shoot if you can - someone will need to hold the reflector. Shoot early or late in the day for best light and use flash sparingly.

I kind of like shooting my son when he's playing at a local park. Just a suggestion is all. I think I would use a zoom for the kids, otherwise you'll have to foot zoom with the 85mm since kids don't like sitting still.

Thanks Keith, depending on time of day, location, the beast may in fact be the most versatile lens for this shoot...

ahh, good stuff all, thanks for the helpful tips. I'm not sure I see the 70-200VR use here... If I am at the close end, I'd use the 28-70, if I am at 100mm, I'd use the 105 2.0 DC, if I am at 200, I'll use the 200VR. I suppose it's possible to hit between 100-200, or 70-100, butin a portrait situation, most things are controllable like distance to subject. I see no advantage to moving to the 70-200VR just for the sake of shooting this lens, not really...

I know a lot of people are nuts on this lens, I just well, happen to not really be one of them at times. I don't think it's my sharpest ax in my bag and I know my bag pretty well...

My disc is the photoflex like 8 way disc? It was a more expensive one, I know it has the zig zag patterns, solid silver and gold, but I am not sure about transluscent. It's all reflective oriented I think. It has gold, silver, also has a cover that makes it a different color. I'll have to look at it closely to tell you everything it has/does. I know it is good for bouncing a flash or direct lighting in, and producing a golden hue, may be real nice for creating a solar effect without harsh sun.

David, these are really great ideas, thank you very much.

John, your points are well taken. thank you.

My ideas on my 3 flashes, were to avoid nasty dark areas on their faces. Without lighting them up like sheets, just allow enough light in to prevent them from being shadowed. Am I right on this, or wrong?

I do have an old photog book, that includes some stuff on portrait, I'll look at that, and also some other books I have...

Still soaking up folks, so more input always welcome.

thanks...

Hi Doug

do some homework?
Look up "Michael Grecco, Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait". This one book will fill you in. I took a workshop with Micheal, time well spent.

Latest threads

Top Bottom