?: If you could only have one....Nikon Z7 or Nikon D850?

View attachment 1632274 hey Rick, New member ....Old pro. Nikon since late 50's I shoot pro and Clients and Teach studio work here In Bev Hills. I spent 3 months testing Everything. I bought the Z7 and 24-70 today. I am totally Blown away. seriously and trust me It takes a whole Lot to blow me away after Having and or using Just about everything made from 11 x 14 film to Hassy to leica and all thing Nikon. One of My deciding Factors was ...Having a fortune in Glass and really didn't wanna start again. without typing My Brains out I AM MADLY IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!! I got the Z7 and the new 24-70 and the adapter for all My other Glass. works Like a champ and I couldn't be Happier. I shoot extreme High end Glamour.....No more words except WOW!!! www.Rinderart.com
Respect your opinion very much and so happy to hear that you love your Z7. Coming from someone with your background that is an excellent endorsement! Cant wait to see some of your images!! Take care, Rick

Z 7.
Heck....I shot sports with the "lowly Df and 80-200 f2.8".....
That is great! I actually shot a few nights of greyhound racing with my D3+ 85mm f/1.4 D Series screw drive lens and was able to get some keepers LOL! Sometimes its better to be lucky than good!!

80-200 was a great forgotten Lens. 70-200 F4 beats them all Half the Price and weight Vr is Much better. Really One of the good Ones I had Both 2.8's going Back 20 years. for 4 Is Better.IMHO.

Z7
?: If you could only have one....Nikon Z7 or Nikon D850?
Nice!!!

Real Name
David
I shot Pro Sports with a D70 6 MP camera and to this Day That One Image sold better and made me More Money than any shot since.Upwards of 50K in Prints and stock.USC and Phoenix at the LA Coliseum.View attachment 1632291
And deservedly so.

....Thank you very much! Ive used the D3 to shoot greyhound racing at Phoenix Greyhound Park and IMHO the D3 is just flat out "a beast". I think it is literally a legendary camera. I don't think I will ever get rid of it. The sound of the shutter is worth it alone HA HA!....
While I can understand the feeling and agree that the D3 and D700 (I shot a pair of D700s for events) were legendary and ground breaking; the current trade in incentive might offer the most value you're likely get out of your D3 depending on the condition. I've never been a gripped body shooter so this probably colors my opinions.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Cameras are tools to be used - nothing more...

I prefer DSLRs because I raised up with them and I'm used to them.
60 years old, owning a lot of good lenses I won't change anymore.

If I would start over I would take a serious look to the Z series.

Kind regards
Klaus

Cameras are tools to be used - nothing more...
Yes. I feel like cameras are boxes to which we attach lenses. Certainly cameras are more sophisticated now than when I had an FA back in the day, and a K1000 before that (I'm not quite as old as you guys, but close) but I still feel like to the extent photography is about gear it is much more about lenses than bodies. So for me the S mount lenses are second only to digital as the most exciting thing that has happened to photography in my lifetime. I'm interested in the Z bodies because they are going to allow me to use these awesome new lenses, but I'm not particularly interested in them as new bodies per se. Of course that is JMO, your mileage will vary.

Had the D850 and D4s. After using the Z7 for five months, I decided the D850 was the better camera but the difference in image quality and features were minor enough that I could live with them, so I sold the D850 while prices were still high. I miss the D850, but not when I'm out hiking around and my backpack filled with Z-mount lenses is 10 pounds lighter. I've got 30-some Nikon lenses that work fine on the D4s, and well enough on the Z7. I've purchased or ordered, in the case of the 14-30mm zoom) all the lenses available for the Z7, and will continue to build that system. Moving forward, it's possible I may be interested in a D6 when available if it can do things my Sony a9 can't do with its upcoming firmware upgrade. (The a9 already outperforms my D4s in terms of autofocus, which I find incredible.) (I've also got the Z6, which I am selling; another fine camera but not enough difference to keep.)

Had the D850 and D4s. After using the Z7 for five months, I decided the D850 was the better camera but the difference in image quality and features were minor enough that I could live with them, so I sold the D850 while prices were still high. I miss the D850, but not when I'm out hiking around and my backpack filled with Z-mount lenses is 10 pounds lighter. I've got 30-some Nikon lenses that work fine on the D4s, and well enough on the Z7. I've purchased or ordered, in the case of the 14-30mm zoom) all the lenses available for the Z7, and will continue to build that system. Moving forward, it's possible I may be interested in a D6 when available if it can do things my Sony a9 can't do with its upcoming firmware upgrade. (The a9 already outperforms my D4s in terms of autofocus, which I find incredible.) (I've also got the Z6, which I am selling; another fine camera but not enough difference to keep.)
I'm working though an analogous dilemma to the D850 or the Z7 with the D750 or the Z6. The better AF on the D750 is the only substantive difference I've found between the two. This manifests mostly in low light conditions where the D750 is demonstrably better. But, with Nikon's announced firmware updates promising eye detection (with tracking) and better low light AF, it is a tough choice. Given that the resale value of the D750 is pretty low now (thanks mostly to steep discounts by Nikon) I will probably just keep both and maybe give the D750 to my son (who has my old D300S too).

BTW, the D5600 I bought from you is seeing regular service as my "tote along on hikes with the grandkids" kit and on my repro stand.

Around 15 months or so ago I had the opportunity to trade up from a D750, my initial plan was to go for the D850 as that seemed the logical and obvious upgrade. However, the size and weight of the camera and my 24-120 was much more than I expected and to be honest, put me off buying, so for a while I did nothing, I suppose I was hoping for a D760 to be announced at some point during 2018.

Then during the summer Nikon announced their Mirrorless range and after much soul searching and hands-on testing at open days, I bit the proverbial bullet and in December I became the proud owner of the Z7 plus 24-70 plus FTZ. And, I have to say I am absolutely delighted with the combination. The 24-70 is stunning, it puts the 24-120 to shame, I have no regrets whatsoever in going Mirrorless, yes I don't shoot sport and most of what I photograph comes in the categories or Landscape or Street.

The Z7 / 24-70 combo is small and light, so good is the IBIS that I am handholding down to 1/8 second which is something I could never do with my D750.

In early spring Nikon will have the Z 14-30mm on the market along with the Z 24-70mm f2.8 so the Z range is getting better, by the end of the year the focal range for the Z lenses will be from 14mm through to 200mm, after 18 months of being launched that won't be too shabby an achievement for a completely new mount.

Indications are that Nikon is going to be pro-active with Firmware updates which also bodes well for long term ownership and camera development, so for me I am very pleased to have made the switch to Mirrorless.

Bought the Z7 had it for 3 Days. Im a working Pro with Very Old clients.Thought i would get On the train for Mirrorless. Took It back. what a waste of time. Bought a new 850 and went back to work.
...the Z7 and 24-70 today. I am totally Blown away. seriously and trust me It takes a whole Lot to blow me away...I AM MADLY IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!! I got the Z7 and the new 24-70 and the adapter for all My other Glass. works Like a champ and I couldn't be Happier......No more words except WOW!!!
I'm having a little trouble reconciling these two posts...

Glenn

Real Name
Ian
People are different. If there was one “best” camera for everyone we wouldn’t need half a dozen companies selling dozens of different cameras.
No, what we’re trying to understand is how someone can go from being totally enamored “couldn’t be happier” and “madly in love” with a camera, to returning it and saying it “isn’t up to the job” in a matter of 3 days.

Real Name
Andy
No, what we’re trying to understand is how someone can go from being totally enamored “couldn’t be happier” and “madly in love” with a camera, to returning it and saying it “isn’t up to the job” in a matter of 3 days.
+1

Bought the Z7 had it for 3 Days. Im a working Pro with Very Old clients.Thought i would get On the train for Mirrorless. Took It back. what a waste of time. Bought a new 850 and went back to work.
I've been shooting Nikon for slightly more than half the time as you, but probably a much smaller fraction of real experience, based on your posts. I am both sorry and surprised to see your about-face from "Wow" to "Waste of Time." I can't help wondering if investing (therefore not wasting) a bit more time would have changed your mind back to "Wow." The only reason I mention this is because so many early reviewers hated the Z7, whereas some of those who dug deeper with the rigors of their evaluation (and presumably, became more accustomed to it over time) gave much more favorable opinions. Anyway, mine arrives tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

Hello Everyone,
I have the D850 and the Z7 both cameras are excellent the Z7 I use for most things absolutely great for landscapes ect and on par with the D850 in its image resolution but for anything do do with fast moving subjects like photographing birds in flight I use the D850 as this does have the edge over the Z7 re autofocus tracking the Z7 will photograph birds in flight but it is easier to do this with the D850 at the moment,that may well change with its expected update in april/may,it really depends on what you want to photograph.
I hope you are all doing well!

Im a 64 year old semi-professional photographer here in Phoenix and have had the pleasure of communicating with you in the past. Ive always enjoyed receiving your input and expertise!

I have a question I would love for you to answer whenever you get the opportunity.

I currently have a Nikon D850 and a Nikon D3. Ive had the D850 for a while and I really enjoy shooting with it. However, I have done a lot of research on the Nikon Z7 and am extremely interested in purchasing one, especially now with the Nikon Trade In Event going on until March 31st. They are giving an additional $400 to the regular trade in amount.

Two things that are very, very luring with the Z7 are the elimination of Auto AF Fine Tuning which, because I am a focus nerd, I drive myself crazy with trying to "dial in" the proper focus all of the time. The charts, software, and time I spend on that is maddening! Then it seems after I make an AF Fine Tune adjustment for one situation as soon as I go to another shot my camera is out of whack! The Z7 does not have that problem. Also, the In Body Vibration Reduction is something I believe I would love because I do have a bit of a tremor which causes my hands to shake.

Unfortunately, Im in a position where I cant afford another $4000 incremental expense, however, I can swing the $1500 if I were to trade in my D850 for a Z7 with the F mount converter.

I shoot mostly portraits, pet photography, social events and macro. I also like to shoot sports but I don't shoot them as much as I used to. I used to be the track photographer at Phoenix Greyhound Park until they closed in 2009. My Wife & I are involved with greyhound adoption and have had 15 greyhound family members over the years, they are wonderful dogs.

Anyway, sorry to digress.

I am really struggling with this decision as to whether or not I should swap my D850 for a Z7. I think Im ready for mirrorless and this would be a great time because of the Nikon Trade in Event, but I wanted to get your thoughts and comments.

Can the Z7 and occasional D3 for faster frames per second suffice or will I regret trading my D850???

I know thats a tough question and a personal one, but if you have a moment and can give me your thoughts I would appreciate it greatly. My belief is that it never hurts to ask people what they think because the more input I get the more I think I will come closer to making the correct decision.

thanks in advance for your opinions.

Oh, and please....If you could only have one which would you pick, the Nikon D850 or the Nikon Z7??

Best to you always,

Rick Pascale
Phoenix, AZ

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Bottom Line is. Im not that crazy about the d850 Either.been with Nikon,Leica,Hassy and 11 x 14 since Late 1950s.Issues with Locking On focus. d800 was a Lot Better. D3 was a game changer and D2h One Of the all time best.
To each his own. I love my D850 and have gotten superb results with focus locking and tracking wildlife in Africa and the USA and hummingbirds in Costa Rica. The D850 is not quite as good as my D5, but I don't hesitate to use it.

D850 + 500mm f4 VR shot @ 1/2500, f7.1, ISO 1800
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom