If you could photograph a special event, what would it be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eng45ine, Jun 7, 2005.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    This is something that someone asked me. A tough answer for sure, but my interests would be:

1. The Summer Olympics

2. Air Force One landing at an airport

3. Indianapolis 500

And you?

2. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Eric Clapton in concert.....again

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Neat topic.

1. A shuttle launch

2. Marines coming home from Iraq or Afghanistan

* I have the highest regard for the military. I give up my place in line at the supermarket or fast food for people in uniform, and stop to tell them that I appreciate them whenever I can. I would love to photograph them returning home to see their families. Not in an intrusive way but just to capture the feelings. Hooooooo Raaaaaahhhhhhhh

3. Formula 1 race

* Going June 19th to Indy for the race. I'm so excited.

4. Antonov 225 in flight would be a most awesome experience. I have numerous shots of the C5 Galaxy but this mother is huge!!!!

Excellent topic by the way.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

1 - Next Moon manned landing
    2 - First Other Planet manned landing

[​IMG]

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great topics...would bring some great captures. And Patrick, #2, your thoughts and how you treat people...very classy.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I WILL SHOOT THE SHUTTLE LAUNCH. :>)))))))

Scheduled now for july15...

Surely subject to change

Just wish I could travel back to all the places I went and have no pics. Did not do photography then. grrrrrrrr

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Patrick,

I agree and do same with military..

My Grandson turned 18 Sunday...Went off to Marine boot camp on Monday ..

Angels be with him.

8. The installation ceremony of the next Pope.

9. 1. The Egyptian empire in it's heyday.

2. The time of the dinosaurs.

3. A one-on-one photo session with this hot girl I saw at the gym. :p

10. Great Thread
    1. Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl Victory from the sideline of course
    2. Grateful Dead or any variety of the band and its members after 105 shows you would think I had enough 8)
    3. Presidential Inauguration
    4. I agree with the returning troops no matter ones belief in the war these folks are true heroes
    5. The Nikon Café.com IPO announcment...some nice portraits and candids of Patrick and Frank :wink:

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey Mike, who is this :>))

Hot footin it......

:>)))))))))))

12. Hmmm... I guess it really depends on what one considers "special event". :D Personally, I'm not that big on events (or scenics or such similar things), but rather, I love the challenge of photographing and conveying whatever intangible aspects (I perceived) of any given thing at any given moment under whatever circumstance. :D In a sense, any given moment could be that "special event" for me if I can perceive a certain something worth photographing. Of course, this may well be as much just a reflection of myself being photographed as what's really there to be photographed. :D

So what are some such moments I'd love to capture? Maybe these could provide some good examples of what I mean:

Spoiler Alert: Possible spoiler if you've never seen the film Almost Famous before. Uncover the spoiler only at your own risk. :D

1. In the film Almost Famous, I absolutely loved that brief moment
    of teary eyed vulnerability displayed by Penny Lane as she finds out the truth about her departure from the band and then musters up all she can to once again hide her broken heart to resume her role as the happy-go-lucky "bandaid"
    towards the end of the movie.

2. The various great moments in the deleted scene of Almost Famous that involved the full-lenghth use of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven, which remained deleted (and w/out included music track) even on the extended "bootleg cut" version of the film due to their inability to get licensing rights to use the music. If you love this movie, you owe it to yourself to check out this deleted scene and, yes, cue up your own copy of Stairway to Heaven to play in synch w/ the footage. :D

3. The moment of whatever truly new, potentially life changing discovery of any individual: a soon-to-be father upon learning of the unexpected, happy, exciting occasion of his wife's first pregnancy, the little boy who learns of his new baby brother in Elton John's The Greatest Discovery (as performed w/ new arrangements for the concerts in Austrailia circa late 80's), the moment of reconciliation after many years of sad and difficult misunderstandings and conflicts, the moment of any triumph of the human spirit over great adversities, the moments of my own conversion to Christianity, moments on the order of the sad news of the JFK assassination (though I have no wish to profit from anybody's tragic circumstances), the against-all-odds survival of the Apollo 13 crew, the moments of comraderie that are experienced and seen in groups who face great adversities regardless of whether they are tangibly victorious or not (as can be seen abundantly in the HBO series Band of Brothers), etc. etc.

4. Not unlike #3, the moments of deep reflection, contemplation, imagination, frustration, anguish, etc. involved throughout the course of music making (both direct and indirect) by the likes of Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Jacqueline DuPre, David Helfgott, you name him/her/them, and likewise of art making by the various masters as well as the unknowns. :D

5. Of course, I'd also love to learn to perceive and capture the more abstract, intangible substance of inanimate things and places too, not just of people, though I certainly find it much easier to perceive such in people than in inanimate things and places.

_Man_

13. Re: If you could photograph a special event, what would it b

Now this is a wonderful question and one that I will read with great interest.

For me photographing anything is "The Pursuit of Creating a Memory"
    That being said, I want to have the opportunity to photograph something that will create a memory for my intended viewer.
    In some cases its as easy as taking an item that your subject has not seen in a long time and simply placing it in their hands and asking then to remember the last time they saw it....

In this case, I just put my Dad's old pocket watch in my Mom's hands and let the memories flow...

Or take some old folks back to the places they grew-up and allow their memories come flooding back to them...

So now what do I want to photograph? Well give me ANYTHING that will allow me to "Create A Memory" and I'm very interested.

14. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Wow, great shots Doug!! The last is wonderful.

I'll keep it simple for me as I just woke up.

1. Pink Floyd in their final concert (with pre and post time shoots). Absolutely the greatest band to walk. Even with Roger Waters gone they're still great.

2. History in the making: Well as I can't go back into history, it would be unique to capture an event (whether a tragedy or a happy event) that move people greatly.

3. The re-unification of Korea (this could fit into #2). While not Korean, I have lived here for nearly 3 years and only 10-15km from North Korea. The efforts of this unification would be enormous and will take a long time yet. To capture it would be an incedible historical event and an emotional event for a lot of my friends who still have family trapped up North, some who have not heard from their families in 50 years.

Joel.

15. marc

marc Guest

an evening, in LA, TAHOE, S.F., NYC, Vegas

with JohnathanF

now that would be special

16. 1. Playboy centerfold

2. The Oscars

3. Earth from the space shuttle

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Doug, nicely stated....

18. Hahaha...I ain't that fun, I spend my free time with my dog, and sleeping a lot! :)

19. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow now this a great thread..

1. World Cup Soccer championship game or Super Bowl (in Detroit next January would even cooler.)

2. Opening ceremonies of the olympics

3. Space Shuttle launch

20. I'd like to photograph my mom on her 100th birthday (she's 88 now)...

my grandchildren graduating college (I don't have any, yet)...

and Nancy, on our Golden Anniversary.

Pretty boring, huh?