1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

If you enjoy glass objects (12 photos)

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:02 PM.

1. My wife and I recently went to the Corning Museum of Glass. The objects and works of art in the photos shown below were made at least partly from glass and were made from the 10th through 21st centuries.

Tripods weren't allowed and we were often shooting through glass. Add to that that objects made of glass are unusually difficult to photograph unless the photographer is using a highly controlled environment, and we weren't. So, shooting conditions were difficult. My wife captured the first photo and I post-processed it.

If you want to know who made a particular work of art and when it was made, feel free to ask or review the image's metadata.

Photo #1
    Joellen 2018-10-13--483-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
    Mike 2018-10-13--1667-S.jpg

Photo #3
    Mike 2018-10-13--1668-S.jpg

Photo #4

Mike 2018-10-13--1671-S.jpg

Photo #5 (likeness of a lynx)
    Mike 2018-10-13--1675-S.jpg

Photo #6
    Mike 2018-10-13--1679-S.jpg

Photo #7
    (stained glass window -- my wife provides scale)
    Mike 2018-10-13--1700-S.jpg

Photo #8
    (small flowerpot -- NOT changed to monochrome)
    Mike 2018-10-13--1705-S.jpg

Photo #9
    (large sculpture made from a coiled stack rope a mile long hand sewn from more than 4.5 million glass beads -- NOT changed to monochrome)
    Mike 2018-10-13--1683-S.jpg

Photo #10 (14th century candle holder)
    Mike 2018-10-13--1711-S.jpg

Photo #11 (10th century bottle with inscription)
    Mike 2018-10-13--1713-S.jpg

Photo #12 (mosaic glass tabletop made about 1866)
    Mike 2018-10-13--1716-S.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 3:30 PM
  2. Many, many years ago my husband and I toured the Corning Glass Works......I think the museum was there as well but only in its earliest stages of development. At any rate, it was an utterly delightful place to be for anyone who loves glass....and the artistry which can be created from it. These are wonderful examples, Mike! Makes me want to go back up there one of these days, since there is so much more there now than back in the early 1970's, which is the last time I visited......

3. Thank you to Connie and Rick!

Yes, it was initially built in 1951 but much has been added to it since then. As an example, just three years ago a 26,000 square foot wing dedicated to displaying art and design was added. Photos #2 - #6 and #9 were taken in that wing.

4. Thanks for posting this Mike. Interesting content and very well captured given the environment.

5. Very nice series Mike, thanks for sharing.

6. Beautiful and very interesting pieces...well photographed given the challenging shooting conditions.

Glenn

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.