ifp3.com Flash Websites For Photographers ~ Opinions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfenton, May 16, 2007.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Just curious as to whether anyone is using these folks for hosting and templates...and if so...opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  2. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Hi Jim,

Looks very interesting and deosnt seem a bad deal (based on UK hosting costs)

Think i may sign up for a trial and see how i get on.

Had a play around with some of there Demos, didnt like it too much as the templates openup windows all over the place, makes it a bit confusing. The layouts are nice, but the screen pop ups are too much for me, i'll stick with my off the shelve gallery product called Pixaria (www.pixaria.com)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Say Jim,
    Wy don't you give Ron R a hollar. Bet he would help you out

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hello Jgrove

Your comments are interesting.

A friend recently set up his site there and I thought that the interface was rather uncluttered and easy....I'm just concerned that the site is flashed base as I know I personally hate waiting for those types of sites to load.

I'll have to look at their demos....I had only checked out my buddies site.

Thanks,

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Good Morning Gale....

I will check in with RR as well.

6. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK

Maybe its becuase i have been used to HTML and PHP based web sites, i always found flash based ones to look very nice but always stayed away from them because it was so difficult to ammend anything on them, especially a web gallery.

Maybe i am too impatient :) i'll take another look

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Jim

My preconceived notion (non experience based) is exactly as yours.

That's why I need to do more research on this site.

Their pricing seems pretty darned reasonable when one considers the cost of both having a website designed for you on a custom basis and then also having it hosted.

8. I hate flash - it is pretty - looks great the first time you go to a site, but it is so slow that I hardly ever want to go back. Flash in itself is slow, but there is also the several levels most of the sites have to get to the galleries.

My site is simple html. I host if myself for about $120 a year. It can hold more than photographs - like a web site for my class too. Being html, it is quick.

The only problem I have is with ecommerce. I use eos template and the shopping cart empties whenever a person leaves a gallery. Like, if a person wants to order from 3 galeeries, he/she has to place 3 orders. This will be fixed eventually, and then it will be perfect. :wink:

The major downside is learning how to create the pages. Also, it takes a while to regenerate a gallery if you make changes - such as add 1 new hawk image to a gallery on hawks.

9. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Don't be too afraid of flash. If done correctly they can load nearly as quickly as a plain html site and can offer the same flexibility in terms of connecting to a database or image management. The biggest downside of flash imho is that it cannot be scraped by search engines. Besides that there are always ways to incorporate both, i.e. a flash gallery to show your main work and a link to an archive that has all of your images.

10. Actually, I never learned flash. The question then has to do with sites like this one Jim is interested in. Can you "simplify" it so that it runs quickly or do you have to use one of their templates?

11. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I signed up for a trail to see how easy it was, the site layouts are very nice, the menu system is preety good for altering your gallery, however there are only a few templates at the moment which limits your creativity in comparision to other examples on there site.

It is worth a look, but it is time consuming to get it all set up and running, i have got so used to RapidWeaver and Dreamweaver i dont think i'll chnage just yet, but may publish a weddings only site on ifp3.com as it would suit that very well.

Cheers

12. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Don't know. It really depends on how "smart" they are. For the photo flash sites I have built I put all of the images (that is what makes a flash file heavy and slow) outside of the flash itself (and to make it even quicker I preload all the images into the browser cache). Not saying I am smart, just wanted to make my sites as fast as possible. I can update via ftp (replace generically named images). I doubt that most of the pre-built sites go to that extent (after all most are pretty simple apps. None of that really helps solve the pre-built hosted image company problems and their flash template behavior, but reality is that flash itself isn't really the bottleneck it is how it has been coded.