1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ike aftermath in my neighborhood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yvette, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Some pics taken in my neighborhood the day after Ike hit Houston.

Two houses down from us...
    ike4.

ike27.

ike21.

ike15.

ike10.

ike9.

Not sure what these guys were doing but it looked like maybe they were checking to see that the drains were clear.
    ike3.

I took this picture about a week before the storm at the lake about 10 minutes from our house. Unfortunately the tree did not make it during the storm and was knocked over.

kingspoint1.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  2. Nasty....Always a shame to lose mature trees like that....Nice lookin neighborhood...I do like homes with reclaimed brick, looks classy.......

Cheers

Ted:smile:

3. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Ted, I was amazed at how shallow some of the root systems are of these huge trees. There were massive trees that were blown over. It is such a shame. But fortunately Kingwood has so many, many trees, the majority of them still standing.

4. Being a horticulturist I am not suprised. The more damp the ground the more shallow the root system. They have a huge profile above ground and there for are more easily toppled. I hate to see this, my neibhor cut down a huge oak just because it was leanning after Charlie. Glad you and your family are safe.
    Tim

5. Too bad about the damage to the trees, but good to see the damage to the houses wasn't a lot worse. :eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.