Ikebana show at Longwood Gardens today

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by mike mac, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Lorrie and I went to Longwood Gardens today it was 74 and beautiful out. So after strolling the grounds and having lunch we went in to see the new east wing of the conservatory that just reopened after several years of renovations.

In the main conservatory they were holding a Ikebana demonstration and judging. Ikebana is the art of Japanese flower arrangement.

I was walking around snapping some shots and was approached by a lady asking if I am a professional which I told her no. She was looking for someone to take some pictures of her entries. I told her I would be glad to try the backgrounds were cluttered hard to isolate each individual entry. Here is my feeble attempt at documenting it for her.
    All taken with the D2X and the 28-70 2.8
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Very good! She'll be happy!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those are exactly the type of design I like Mike, and have often done them :>))

Thank you for posting these. They are very beautiful .

4. Mike
    I still shake my head every time I look at your posts. Your technical skills are second to none and you composition and presentation are incredible. She ought to be glad she tapped you on the shoulder.
    DAve

5. Nice work, Mike. Nice flower art as well.

6. Very nice, Mike. Both the shots and the subject matter.

7. Thanks I got an email and she is very happy and is now requesting some prints

8. This is the first I have seen or heard of this they were beautiful for sure

9. Dave
    thanks so much I really appreciate your praise we can learn from each post here on the cafe and it is how we all get better.

10. Thanks I found the arrangements very interesting

11. Thanks Kevin for looking

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Japaneese floral design, Mike.

I think it the most beautiful and graceful design in floral. Just my taste I guess.

I do like alllll flowers and floral arrangements.

But that is my favorite.

13. Beautiful pictures, Mike. The backgrounds go well with the Ikebana philosophy : clean, simple but effective. Congrats for an excellent work.