Ilford Delta 3200 exposure question

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by kevin_c, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Hi All, I've done a quick search, and get the feeling that Ilford Delta 3200 is not a true ISO 3200 speed film, and in fact underexposes negatives if set to this setting? a lot of people seem to be exposing it at 1600 - is this a good idea?
    I'll be sending the films off to a semi-pro lab I use for my Delta 400 etc. to be developed and I'm pretty sure they'll be using D76 or simlar, so the films will probably get a pretty 'bog-standard' developing job.

I have a large indoor (large hotel) family 'do' coming up next month and although most of the shots I take will be in colour (I'll use digital & flash for these) I want to shoot a few rolls of Delta 3200 (or similar) to get some more 'atmospheric' images using my F100.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Kevin, I have no experience with this film however I've always been impressed by the fact sheets supplied by Ilford. The Delta 3200 one (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200613019405339.pdf) seems to have a lot of info regarding the range of EIs supported by the film.

Good luck with your shoot.

3. Thanks for the link Robert - I've downloaded the sheet (and a couple of others) and it looks as though it has a pretty wide exposure latitude.

I may just fire off a roll indoors sometime and see how it performs before I get to use it in anger so to speak.
    I've used the Delta 400 a lot and expose this at 400 and it's a great film IMO, but I just picked up on a few threads here and there about the actual ISO rating of the 3200 emulsion being a bit lower.

Thanks again.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Kevin, I use Delta 3200 a lot, and I expose it both at iso 3200 and iso 1600. The development time is different depending on how it is exposed, so be sure to tell your lab what EI you used on your particular roll (do not mix EIs on a single roll. This works on chromogenic film like XP2, but not Delta, as underexposure will cause increased grain.)

Here are some examples at 3200, and these were shot and developed at 1600.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Thanks for the reply Chris - I'll just expose it at 3200 and get the speed I need for an indoor shoot, I kinda' like the grain you get with this stuff - some great examples in your links by the way!

I was just a bit worried about it not being a true ISO3200 and under exposing it, but I suppose as long as it's developed for 3200 it should be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.