Illinois Birding

Discussion in 'Birds' started by eng45ine, Apr 17, 2007.

1. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hello Everyone,

I ventured out today to get a glimpse of the Great Horned Owlets that were raised in a tree outside the Kane County Courthouse, but upon my arrival I noticed that the two Owlets and the adult were no where to be found. So, I wasn't in any mood to be skunked, I traveled to the Pratt Wayne Woods in nearby Bartlett, Illinois to check into some nests that I saw last year when doing some traveling with Tony (papa85). Well, I arrived the area, parked my truck and walked into the preserve to find about 15 large nests in the dead trees located in a marshy area. As I approached I noticed large birds flying in and out of the nests..."what the heck are these things", I asked myself. As I approached I noticed that they were Great Blue Heron. In this image, an adult is joining his mate...

Well, I just held my position to let all of these sizable birds get used to me, then they started getting active again. Here's the same couple, one is taking a branch from the other to continue building the nest and, I guess, getting a welcome home kiss...
    View attachment 91190

As I used my binoculars, I noticed another species of bird in the tree next door...a Great Horned Owlet and the adult is tucked nicely behind. Heavily cropped, at least I was able to get a shot...
    View attachment 91191

All images taken with a D2H, Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF-S VR and TC-14E II on a monopod.

2. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Great shots, Frank. Your having a lot better luck finding birds than I am. I haven't found anything but tame ducks since I got my 300.:frown:

3. Looks like a fun day Frank! You have seen more owls this month than I ever have

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey fellas....now I need a "rock solid" tripod to hold this lens/camera set-up steady.....I need to win the lottery!!! But thanks for your kind words and support.

5. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Great shots as usual Frank!

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, thanks Shekhar...it was an enjoyable hike and shoot this morning.

7. Great find Frank, I really like the first shot. Such a nice setting for the nest, you should be able to get some decent shots of the chicks when they arrrive.

Louie

8. WOW Frank! Very nice day of shooting! I like em all!

9. And a Full Wimberley head, Frank!!!!:biggrin: Those heads are the bees knees!! Great shots!

Cheers
    Nancy

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Louie, I am really looking forward to heading back and giving it another try. Next time I won't get my feet all wet.

Thanks Dianne, enjoyed myself alot.

Nancy, the more I learn about photography, the more I learn that I don't have enough money to fund my learning!

11. Way to go Frank, Don't give up and the gifts keep coming!!!

Nice Set

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks Gary, I'm having a ball!!! Speaking for gifts, where's the package with the 600mm f/4 lens?:redface:

13. Bravo, nice lens!

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice set Frank. Looks like you are really getting into birdie shooting. It is fun and challenging, huh? Sort of like playing golf -- you get a few good shots, and you can't wait to go back and try for more. :biggrin:

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I am thoroughly enjoying this stuff Frank, it is easy to understand your dedication now that I am getting more involved. How I wish my 300mm was a 600mm!!! Thanks for all of your support.

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thank you John, no buyer's remorse at all and the bill arrived this afternoon!

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Want to hear something totally STUPID?!?? I have been shooting with the 1.7 TC on the 400 quite a bit lately (as Andreas always seems to do), and a few times, I've wished for more length. Let's see, 400 + 1.7 = 680 @ f4.8. OTOH, 600 + 1.4 = 840 @ f5.6. No, no, no!!!! Janie would GUT me. :eek: :rolleyes:

Birdie shooting is hazardous to your health. :biggrin: :biggrin:

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That definately sums it up for the two of us. I had better sell a bunch of sports shots if I expect to buy a longer piece of glass.

19. Very nice Farnk. The approach shot is Excellent!

Best,

Jose

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent work Frank
    Keep them comming

Is it dedication or addiction:>))))