Illinois Hummingbirds

I live in Northeast Illinois, does anyone know if any species of Hummingbirds are native to my area? I was thinking about hanging a feeder in the yard, but thought that I would inquire before buying one.

Thanks Jacki, I "googled" the Audubon Society, I'll do a specific search for an Illinois chapter. Thanks so much.

Definitely get those feeders out, and make sure to change the 'nectar' once every 3 days so they keep coming back for the fresh stuff...I have a feeder up but it's not in an ideal location for shooting pictures, and the background is terrible...so I'm going to relocate it and move it to a more friendly photo location..

BTW, before I moved here I lived in Michigan and we had a few feeders up and hummers everywhere, only Ruby Throats...

Frank :

Be aware that it may take some time for the humminbirds to recognise that you're a "feeder location". Once the hummers begin to use your feeders, you will see see them year after year.

I have had Caliope Hummingbirds nesting each year on my property for about eight years now, and I attribute this in part to regularly stocking several feeders.

John P.

B

Brew

Frank,

I've had a feeder out (90 miles north of you) and haven't had any yet but maybe closer to fall. When they do come out I've noticed them early in the morning or early evening. We've got some flowers that are suppose to attract them too that are just starting to go full bloom so we shall see.

But I'm still waiting.

I did find one stunned outside one of the glass buildings where I work and was able to get it off of the ground and in a tree so I think it probably lived to hum again :lol:

Bruce and John, thanks for the info that you provided. I am going to use the links that were posted for me to see what they have to offer and I will proceed according to their recommendations as well. It would be nice to atract some hummers...would love to get a few images as well.

Thanks for your input into my thread....

Frank :

Just as an aside related to hummers around the Great Lakes - I used to get Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds in Toronto. Not many, but a few each year made it across Lake Ontario.

I know I've seen them in southern IL (Henry) area working there one summer, so don't give up hope over there in "Chicagoland" !

John P.

Thanks for the insight on the hummers, John. I plan to beat the bush to find out about hummers in my area. I'm hopeful to have those critters adorning my yard someday. Can't wait to find out more about them.

Road Trip for Frank !

Frank :

Think about a trip to SE Arizona, specifically Ramsey, Ash, and Miller Canyons near Sierra Vista. I shot these

Annas14106_L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BroadtailMale24650_L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

last Labour Day without having the better glass I own now. It's a cornucopia of hummers, in numbers and varieties, likely one of the best locations in the continental US. With better glass, the Wimberley on my tripod, and having learned more about this kind of photography, I think I can now easily better these shots, and I'm sure that you could.

John P.

Latest threads

Top Bottom