I'm a High Performance Guy ... AGAIN!

Real Name
Ken St John
Back in 2005, I was able to find a wonderful deal on a virtually "new" 2003 Jaguar S-Type R. A car that I had lusted over for several years. What made this car so much fun was on the outside it was just a plain "old man's" S-Type ... but lurking underneath that beautiful Jaguar Racing Green paint were subtle aerodynamic pieces, a taught "sport" suspension, massive Brembo brakes, and a 400hp supercharged V-8!! In '03, it was faster 0-60 than a Mustang Cobra!! It was REALLY fun to drive and REALLY fast!! One time in Nevada we opened it up on a deserted stretch of freeway ... I chickened out at 145MPH, not because of anything wrong ... but because it was so tame at that speed!! The aero package really worked!!
May 2006 West Coast Trip 1430_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

May 2006 West Coast Trip 1164_DxO.jpg

A few years later, I had to let it go as the maintenance costs were way out of my budget (I was coming up on a set of brakes, and the only place to get them was at a Jag dealer. The cost estimate was around $4,000 out the door!!) I've had a lot of nice cars since then, but none that were as much absolute FUN to drive!

Until now.

My wife and I have been discussing for more than a year that our full size '17 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew was just too large for just the two of us. And, we found that we actually used it as a "truck" only once or twice in the past several years. Because of some great incentives, we were able to trade it in yesterday and welcome a new 2020 Ford Explorer ST into our garage. Tweaked by the Ford Performance division ... it, too, has 400hp and a bunch of other "tweaks"!! :D And, boy, is it fun to drive!!
Explorer ST Delivery Day-10_DxO.jpg

Explorer ST Delivery Day-49_DxO.jpg

Explorer ST Delivery Day-4.jpg

Explorer ST Delivery Day-23.jpg

I certainly realize that it will not handle a twisty road as well as the Jag did, being an AWD SUV, but the straight line performance is really a kick in the pants (pun intended)! We are really looking forward to getting to know this beauty better!!

Cheers!!

Ken

Nice. I love the looks of the new Explorer. I had a few ho-hum cars & trucks during my working years due to practicality. Now that I'm retired, I bought a 2017 ragtop Camaro RS. The V6 motor puts out 335 hp with 284 pound-feet of torque. It's a fun car and it handles like it's glued to the road. Enjoy your new Explorer.

My wife loves the idea of owning a sports car but hates the reality. I would love another convertible but I think a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD with the air lift suspension will probably be my next car.

Real Name
Ken St John
My wife loves the idea of owning a sports car but hates the reality. I would love another convertible but I think a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD with the air lift suspension will probably be my next car.
We took a really close look at the Grand Cherokee. Big tipper for us was the third row of seats and a lot of newer tech in the Explorer. The ST’s performance was also a plus, especially with the excellent fuel mileage of the eco boost. It was also a lot cheaper than the equilivent Jeep SRT!!!

Ken

A great find. I really enjoyed my supercharged Pontiac V6 20 years ago. I remember the shop charged me $60 to change the serpentine belt. That's what their price book said. They would not take any extra money. Great design by Pontiac required undo of the motor mount and supporting the engine just to change the belt. I should say to get the new one on in one piece.

Latest threads

Top Bottom