I'm a lens hoarder!

So in the last several months I've purchased a large amount of lenses (not listed on my main gear list) for excellent prices. I was initially going to sell the lenses after using them, but then the earthquake happened on top of rising inflation and the equipment I was going to sell is now hard to find and mostly out-of-stock. Plus they've gone up in price if I decide to buy again. I can't decide what to sell and what to keep?

I'm not a lens collector and really see a need for each piece of glass...but I cruise my local craigslist with WTB ads from people really needing the glass and willing to pay inflated prices! So I'm very tempted to cash out! :biggrin:

I think the stock situation with Nikon gear availability is going to continue to worsen much faster than the manufacturing and power issues resolve themselves over there, so I'd keep waiting. :biggrin:

I'm in the same boat Jonathan. I've been thinking about selling my 70-200 VRII because I keep forcing myself to use it, and really hate lugging it around. I couldn't sell it a few months ago because they're all over the place. Now everybody wants one... maybe I should sell it now while people still want it :biggrin:

What I REALLY want from Nikon is a semi-plastic 70-200 f/4. Come on Nikon!

I'm in the same boat Jonathan. I've been thinking about selling my 70-200 VRII because I keep forcing myself to use it, and really hate lugging it around. I couldn't sell it a few months ago because they're all over the place. Now everybody wants one... maybe I should sell it now while people still want it :biggrin:

What I REALLY want from Nikon is a semi-plastic 70-200 f/4. Come on Nikon!

I know everyone uses a lens in different ways, and on the D700 it is a lot shorter. I have 70/200 VR, ona D300, it is 6 years old, but it is my "cold dead hand lens" a reference to our southern love for guns. Have you ever tried micro/close ups with the 70/200??
With tubes, it trap shoots beautifully. I, like the fact that I use it from a few inches on out.

Semi plastic would not have survived a 3 foot fall to a steel floor. :smile:

If it were me I would wait a little more and see how the prices are then maybe sell.
I wish I would have taken advantage of the rebates on lens when I bought my camera instead of now not being able to find them. Just like I should have bought ford stock when it was less than $2 now it's about $15:actions1:

"What I REALLY want from Nikon is a semi-plastic 70-200 f/4"

Make mine with VR along the lines of the 16-24. Hell, make me a 24-70 f/4VR while your at it. GH

to paraphrase my own sig: you buy camera bodies, you invest in glass.

if you got it all at good prices, keep it.

unless there is something in there you feel is surplus to requirements or will have a very limited use, keep it i say!

i confess, i too am something of a lens hoarder. i've sold off a lot of surplus to requirements camera bodies over the years, i can't ever recall selling glass. except a dodgy old 35-70'ish consumer zoom i sold with my F4.

I know everyone uses a lens in different ways, and on the D700 it is a lot shorter. I have 70/200 VR, ona D300, it is 6 years old, but it is my "cold dead hand lens" a reference to our southern love for guns. Have you ever tried micro/close ups with the 70/200?? With tubes, it trap shoots beautifully. I, like the fact that I use it from a few inches on out.

Not yet, but I'd love to try it someday.

I can't explain how happy I am I bought my D700, 24-70 and 70-200 VRII all between December 1st and February 15th. Man... did I luck out.

Sadly, the people of the Japan... not so lucky. :(

I just noticed checking KEH prices from where I bought all of my used MF lenses, that their prices are just about double for the same glass now too!

I'm almost positive that I got my 200/4 AIS for like $79 BGN I think. Now they're $179??:eek: Some other stuff I got in that same $75-129 range is now like $200-300. Geez! I bought a bunch of these just because they were cheap and they were fun to play with. Not anymore!

I just noticed checking KEH prices from where I bought all of my used MF lenses, that their prices are just about double for the same glass now too!

I'm almost positive that I got my 200/4 AIS for like $79 BGN I think. Now they're $179??:eek: Some other stuff I got in that same $75-129 range is now like $200-300. Geez! I bought a bunch of these just because they were cheap and they were fun to play with. Not anymore!

Blame it on the video DSLR wannabe directors cannibalizing MF glass for their ultra creamy bokeh, indie documentary about baby seals in the north pole! :rolleyes::biggrin::tongue:

I would be a hoarder if I weren't married! I should have never borrowed that MF lens for a week. Now I'm addicted!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator

I paid the around the same thing for my 200mm and as of this morning, KEH doesn't even have them in stock.

For grins, I'm going to KEH's Road Show here in St. Louis tomorrow. They're in town to purchase lenses and will be at one of the local camera shops. I'm going to take a couple of the MF lenses I don't use and see what they say about them.

I started "collecting" Nikon manual lenses several years ago because they were inexpensive and so magnificently constructed. When I first went digital the propaganda in the industry was that these old manual lenses were inferior to the new digital lenses which were specifically designed for digital sensors. The theory was that light must strike perpendicular to the pixels, and the old manual lenses were prone to be slightly less efficient at this.
This might be true in theory, but it sure doesn't seem to true in the real world, and I think digital photographers are discovering how competent these MF lenses are.
My local C/L ads for these lenses have all but evaporated. Two of the local camera stores where I have purchased MF lenses in the past can't keep them in stock. One large camera retailer in my area is starting to stock and sell MF lenses because they have had so many requests for them.
The MF lenses that I have purchased have actually outpaced Gold. :eek:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom