I'm a total idiot!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ruffles, May 27, 2005.

1. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Try not to laugh (too much) as you read this...

The other night, I was at a scout meeting to welcome some new 11 year old scouts into our troop. While I was waiting for the meeting to start, I notice a guy with a D2x. I start talking to him and learn that he's the father of the new kid and that he's a pro photog. I tell him about my D2x that I just got and we talk photography etc. Soon, it comes time for his kid to get some awards and he wants to go up with him so he hands me his camera to shoot the pics. I'm all excited and nervous because hey, this guy is a pro and I want to make a good impression. I'm consentraiting on composition, focus, desive moment, etc. I squeeze off a frame and notice he has image review turned off on his camera but I didn't want to mess with his settings so I just continue shooting...

Well, in all my effort to impress this guy, I failed to pay attention to the flash ready light and since his batteries were going out in his SB-800 (he was only useing 4) more than half of the pictures I took are horribly underexposed. I'm so embarrased! I know he thinks I'm an idiot and probably can't believe I own a Pro camera.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. Have you ever done anything really stupid?

Steve

2. I have HEARD of people doing stupid things, but I most certainly never have, nope, not me. Unless you call dropping my Sigma 120-300f2.8 on the floor in front of a bunch of Hooters Girls stupid :oops:

Then again, he is a Pro Photog and he showed up with low batteries in his flash? That sounds pretty stupid to me as well.

3. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Steve,

No worries...been there myself as you may have seen in my previous post here:

I am an IDIOT!!!

I too have had situations with working pros. Our local newspaper photographer was at the event shown in the "violet-tinted" photo I posted, and we got to talking the first year I shot it. I had my D1, and he was using two Sony 8cm CD digital cameras (MaviCam I believe?). He asked if I was a pro, and I told him it was only a hobby and that I picked up the D1 for fun. He gasped! He said, "You're making me look bad with all that horsepower". :)

A few years later, he showed up with two D1Xs! Guess he made a case to the Editor! One year, he called me and asked me to submit a few of my shots, and mine ended up on the front page sidebar! Gotta love it.

We all do dumb things every now and then...that's a right of passage to a good life. What would life be without humor?

C

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Sure. Many times. Just can't remember them since my conscious mind has repressed them all.

By the way, sounds like this guy shoulda had fully charged batteries. And he might have shared with you how he had his camera set up.

I dunno. I haven't shared cameras. But I have shared guns in competitive shooting environments. In my experience, this is always accompanied by some detailed information about the gun's characteristics.

But I guess if cameras were guns, I would have shot myself in the foot several times by now. :)

Mike

5. Steve,

Welcome to the club. We should have T-shirts. Usually I just go stand next to the guy wearing the "I'm with stupid" T-shirt. :D

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Belive it or not, I've shot my foot several times.

I would post a pic, but my feet arn't as pretty as my daugher's. So, I'll post her shot of her foot:

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, I would have messed with his settings. After all, that's why he gave you the camera anyways, isn't it? He must have figured since you own one, you knew how to operate it.

But hey, its all cool. I've done several dumb things. I know someone here knows this story, but I'll tell it again.

So I'm shooting a session with a client (and she's one of the least photogenic people I've had to work with). She tells me she hates taking her photos cuz they always come out terrible. Anyways, during the session I chat with her and explain how I came to be a professional (yeah, right...).

She's pretty cool, and she sees her proofs and really loves the results! Believe it or not, she shells out almost a grand for the largest package we offer.

Makes payment and everything, and leaves with a huge smile! So off goes the film to the lab to be processed into prints. A week later, the boss comes up to me and tells me that the client I shot last week's photos did not come out. They offered her a reshoot, and she specifically asked for me by name, but I wasn't scheduled at the time, and another photographer shot her session, and she didn't buy a thing :(

I thought the film looked a bit unusual when I unloaded it but didn't pay much attention to it. For those that haven't worked with 120mm film, it comes on a spool (not inside a canister), and has to have the leading edge rolled onto an empty spool. One side is the emulsion, and the other side is a lightproof paper.

Come to find out, I loaded the film upside down, and all the pics were never exposed!

One more quickie dumb thing I did.... I'm shooting this client's engagement party, and I do a few formals using 120mm and the rest on 35mm. After processing, I find out I loaded the wrong type of film when shooting the formals. I messed up and loaded Kodak Ektachrome instead of Kodak Ecktar film. Oooops... (for those that don't know film - Ektachrome is for IR photography, Ektar is high resolution film)

Oooops!

8. You warned him that you were a newbie...

That means that about half of them were properly exposed. If you hadn't taken pictures, how many shots would he have ended up with?

Since he's a pro, I'll bet he could tell you about whoppers he's made that would make your miscalculation seem tame.

Cheer up, Steve. He didn't pay you, so you don't have to refund his money :twisted:.

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

:lol: You are NOT an idiot! :lol:

Making that "mistake" is not being an idiot. As pointed out, it was the fault of the camera owner...

:oops: I've made mistakes of this type with my OWN camera - now that's being an idiot! :oops:

10. That's right! I missed that. Uncle Frank has a mind like a steel trap!

Respectful regards,

Mike

11. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Thanks guys. I really like the t-shirt idea :)

12. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA