1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I'm back, and 100% Manual Focus

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by watsonD50, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Well a month or two back (can't remember for some reason), I posted a rather 'controversial' post and decided after numerous rants to leave this forum. Well I'm back, and I am not leaving this time :D evil:

Anyways onto the meat. I made a rather 'rash' decision. I sold all my AF gear, put a Katz Eye Focusing screen into my D200, and purchased three manual focus primes: Nikon 28 3.5 AI, 50 1.8 AI, and 85 F2 AI.

First up, the 50 1.8 AI. This lens is phenomenal. The lens itself is decades old compared to the 50 1.8 AF I used to own, yet the build is superior and I think the optics are better in many respects.

Some samples:

The 50 1.8 AI

3354995782_1e56cfa314_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3354997846_d1e0b1048a_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The 28. 3.5 AI

The 28 3.5 is pretty amazing. The sharpness @ 3.5 is about as good as it gets on my D200.

View attachment 336201

View attachment 336202

The 75-150 Series E

This lens is always impressive.

View attachment 336203

2. Welcome back and don't you leave again...ya hear me!

3. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Well, don't know why you left, but welcome back. The photos look amazing. I like the beer one and the last one.

4. CDN5

CDN5 Guest

Ya that beer one has some awesome ambiance

5. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Welcome Back! Great,Sharp Images!

6. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Welcome back! I love the beer shot as well. Great job.

I just installed a Katz-eye in my D700 last night... and WOW - my MF world has already been rocked. I can just see that it's going to open up all kinds of new avenues for shooting with these lenses - not to mention the confidence I'll have with them now. Just can't believe I waited so long :Guns:

Steve

7. camera_shy

camera_shy

Oct 22, 2008
    Earth
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing as you, going with the MF's, only my eye sight sucks, :( 

and welcome back!

8. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Welcome back to NC! Nice images, when I eventually pick up a DSLR which will can meter with my AI/AIS I will be making much more use of them. As you say they offer a great balance of value, IQ and build quality.

9. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    very nice! :biggrin:

10. Glad you decided to come back. Very nice shots btw.

11. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    good to see you back buddy, bought time...:wink:

nice set of pictures

I've been looking at that 28 3.5 myself
    seems like a great lens for the $$$$$$$

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I missed the drama, but welcome back and shoot with whatever makes you happy.

13. I picked up the 28 3.5 in BGN condition from KEH for about $60. I couldn't believe how 'new' it looks - no cosmetic defects, glass is pristine. I imagine KEH services the lenses before resell.

I am hooked at the moment, there is a ton of other MF glass I want to acquire, unfortunately prices have skyrocketed for some reason.

14. Thanks, it's all about the lighting. We were sitting there at happy hour and the sun was slowly going down, the sun hit the glass at the right spot and I had pull at the camera to capture the moment.

15. I agree the Kate-Eye is an impressive tool, but it does have (at least for me) a learning curve as far as using center vs. outside, etc.

16. The Katz-Eye helps, but even with that device the D200s viewfinder still seems a bit small.

17. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    the advent of FX and rise in new lens prices have added fuel to that fire

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

Quote:
    Originally Posted by watsonD50

I am hooked at the moment, there is a ton of other MF glass I want to acquire, unfortunately prices have skyrocketed for some reason.

video shooters

19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

welcome back Daniel ...;-)

20. thanks. I know people using the RedCamera are over Nikon's manual focus glass like it's the best thing since sliced bread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.